Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tech 21 FlyRig 5 and a Blackstar HT club 40 =)

Hi guys, thought I would share my recent new pedal day, and while I'm at, a new amp day. I actually bought the amp last fall but I never posted it... but since I am enjoying this combination so much I thought I would share.

A lightly used Tech 21 FlyRig 5 showed up on CL here for a good price and I remembered seeing a PG video with Ritchie Kotzen using one in his live rig so I thought I would go give it a try and I really liked it so I bought it - paid $180, which is pretty good considering they are about $300 new. I am really impressed with this little unit...it is so small it will fit in your guitar case and it has delay, reverb, sansamp channel (cleaner channel), plexi drive (dirtier channel) and a boost. I was able to dial up some very nice tones right away and the layout is simple and the delay and reverb both sound nice so I am super happy with it.

And I am playing it into the blackstar, which I am also growing to like very much. it is a ht club 40 and I like the simple layout and the sound is quite nice. I have a mesa express combo but I don't seem to get along well with that amp - too dark and breaks up too early and I just don't really dig it so I bought this and I like it much better. Of course my Legacy 1 is my baby as far as amps go but it lives at the rehearsal space so this amp is great for at home and for jams with buddies. It's my first Blackstar amp and I quite like it.

Cheers =)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Congrats DG. New gear always brings a smile to my face and can almost always be inspiring. I see you have a Pinnacle as well. I use mine with an Analogman KOT and the 2 pair very nicely together.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Happy NAD and NPD! :D

My only gripe against most blackstar amps is that they don't have 3 band EQ, and have a master tone. I like having 3 band EQ at least to shape my sound.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats DG. New gear always brings a smile to my face and can almost always be inspiring. I see you have a Pinnacle as well. I use mine with an Analogman KOT and the 2 pair very nicely together.
The Pinnacle is a pretty rockin pedal - my only gripe with it is that the boost doesn't do much and there's no adjustment for the boost

Happy NAD and NPD! :D

My only gripe against most blackstar amps is that they don't have 3 band EQ, and have a master tone. I like having 3 band EQ at least to shape my sound.
Yeah, unfortunately on the clean channel you only get a single tone knob but I was still happy with the tone that I was able to get from it.

UPDATE: I took this combination to one of my weekly jams last night to see how it sounded with drums, bass etc and I was very pleased. With the FlyRig the clean sound with the sansamp was nice and I used the boost to get a dirty rhythm sound and then with all the lights on the solo sound was pretty rockin =) btw - the FlyRig lights up like a Christmas tree...I kinda like all the lights...lol ;) ...still in the honeymoon phase with this setup but so far I am pretty happy with it - simple, easy and sounds good! =)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The Pinnacle is a pretty rockin pedal - my only gripe with it is that the boost doesn't do much and there's no adjustment for the boost

Yeah, unfortunately on the clean channel you only get a single tone knob but I was still happy with the tone that I was able to get from it.

UPDATE: I took this combination to one of my weekly jams last night to see how it sounded with drums, bass etc and I was very pleased. With the FlyRig the clean sound with the sansamp was nice and I used the boost to get a dirty rhythm sound and then with all the lights on the solo sound was pretty rockin =) btw - the FlyRig lights up like a Christmas tree...I kinda like all the lights...lol ;) ...still in the honeymoon phase with this setup but so far I am pretty happy with it - simple, easy and sounds good! =)
Glad you are happy with the new setup. Would be great if you could do a sound demo or use it in the guitar challenge... ;) I've always wondered about the Tech 21 products, like Sansamp especially. Since it is like a pre-amp, do you run it into the effects return or into the front of the amp?

I feel the same way about the clean channel on the Blackstar... the tone knob does just fine. I mostly use the dirty channel anyway... and with the low, mid, high, and ISF control you can dial it right in. Great sounding amps!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you are happy with the new setup. Would be great if you could do a sound demo or use it in the guitar challenge... ;) I've always wondered about the Tech 21 products, like Sansamp especially. Since it is like a pre-amp, do you run it into the effects return or into the front of the amp?

I feel the same way about the clean channel on the Blackstar... the tone knob does just fine. I mostly use the dirty channel anyway... and with the low, mid, high, and ISF control you can dial it right in. Great sounding amps!
I'm running the FlyRig right into the front of the amp but I know that you can also run it into the effects return of the amp if you like but I haven't tried that yet. I should do a sound demo but I don't have a camera for that yet...I still don't know how to make youtube videos =(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts