Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
7,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Here's a quick question, if I wanted Nuno Bettencourt style tone from a DiMarzio pickup, what direction would you point me in?

There's too much hassle involved in getting whatever Lawrence pickup he's alledged to use so I want something more available (and potentially custom coloured ;) ) to help me get in the ballpark of Nuno's tone.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I hear a few common traits between the Bill Lawrence and the Evolution, but you need to tweak the amp a bit - the Evo is pretty treble-heavy - almost uncomfortably so - but if you turn down the treble and boost the mids a bit you can get somewhere in the same neighbourhood as Nuno's tone.

I get pretty close to Nuno's 'III Sides' tone with a Jem (and an Evo-loaded RG7620) and my Marshall DSL50.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I tried a nuno N4 and the bridge pickup was filled with epoxy so it's a BL USA model. I have two guitars with the Bill and Becky L500XL simply on the idea that although there is a feud about the two companies, Bill invented it and therefore of coarse knows what he is doing. Comparing the two pickups without sounding biased or using over the top language i much preferred what i already have.
Seeing interviews with dimebag darrel and reading about nuno and listening to their similar tone characteristics Bill's definitely personified it. The wah'ish sort of sound on lead, a very tight low end, loud and yet can be played without it breaking up your clean channel and turning it into something very horrid. E.g. a dimebucker. I have to say you can't go wrong with a Bill and Becky L500XL and it's your best bet. Plus it's hardly expensive but i can definitely say it's my most favourite bridge pickup ever.

·
Registered
146 Posts
As I mentioned I'm very keen to get a DiMarzio for the custom coloured bobbins and the ease of getting it ordered and fitted.
I don't think he will colour the blades but when i spoke to Bill or Becky one of the times i rang up to order a pickup i am sure they said that they can produce them in different colours for customers. They even make custom pickups to order. I plan on getting a pair of blade pickups from them for a 7 string guitar at some point. As for fitting the blade pickups are pretty deep but i believe i have seen threads on here talking about the evolutions and a few other dimarzio pickups being pretty deep too? other than that i can't think of any other problems with fitting?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I don't think anything really sounds like a Bill Lawrence L500.
I always thought they sounded like a cross between an EMG and a Super Distortionor maybe an Evo.
I have a Dimebucker (which apparently is based heavily on the 500XL) and I would agree that no pickup I have used is quite the same. I am using it in a paduak rg with an evo in the neck. The main thing for me is the volume both these pickups have and the clarity, although I would say the DB is more compressed.

Evo's sound pretty different to me, even Evo 2. I would say the closest thing that springs to mind in terms of the general tone would be Breed maybe, other than the obvious answer of the SD DB. It is tricky because I haven't heard these in a range of woods as I have with say evo or paf pro.

Jono, what kind of wood are you putting it into? Have you thought of asking Dimarzio?

·
Administrator
7,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It'll be going into (yet) another basswood RG.

I've not asked DiMarzio yet as I figured I'd get some input from he trusted ears of my Jemsite brothers.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Try the Evo 2 or the Super 2. You basically want something with a lot of upper mids. Those two are the only two that top my list. Maybe a D-activator neck in the bridge position as well. All those should get you somewhere in the ballpark.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Thanks budd, that's really helpful to actually put it into "tone terms" :)! So it's the upper mids that I'm looking for more than the treble?
Yeah, but the problem is that when you're looking at the EQ graph on either the DiMarzio site or the Duncan site, it doesn't really specify where they're measuring the ratings for mids and treble. But yeah you do want to look for a pickup with a good amount of upper mids. Looking at just treble will 'cause your tone to be harsh and brittle which is probably not what you want. The guys over at the Dimarzio forum might be able to give you a better idea or you can always e-mail dimarzio directly. Steve and Eric usually responds pretty darn quick.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
All things being equal, if the dimebucker was created with similar tonal characteristics to the 500XL then you have to say that the Steve's Special is probably the closest. Never heard it myself though.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I read this thread and decided to give my RG with the Bill & BeckyL-500 in it a whirl and compare to the others, which all have dimarzio's. Really I don't know if anything sounds much like an L-500. It has very, very unique tone to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.