Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Most of my auction dealings have been purchases rather than sales -- until recently. So I hadn't paid a lot of attention to the various PayPal options. Now that I'm selling some things, I just became aware of the difference between a "Premier" account and a regular "Personal" account. The Personal account type is free (that is, they don't take a percentage of your purchases when someone pays using a bank withdrawal), but your buyers can't use a credit card. A Premier account allows buyers to pay with a credit card, BUT the seller has to pay 2.9% on all payments that use a bank withdrawal.

This strikes me as a very strange system. If you only have a Personal account, your buyer can step through the PayPal payment process, and even give a credit card as the form of payment. But the seller will then get a notice saying: "Hey, guess what? Your buyer used a credit card, so now you gotta upgrade to a Premier account and start paying us 2.9% on all bank transfers! Na, na, na, na, na!!! Or you can decline the payment, get bad feedback, forfeit the sale, and you know, bad mojo..."

So you're pretty much stuck, and have to start paying 2.9% on the most common form of payment. And here's the other part that irks me -- if you (as the buyer) typically DO pay by bank transfer, but on one occasion try to pay using a credit card, you get a pleasant message from PayPal saying "Oh, you don't REALLY want to use a credit card, do you? It's not an instant payment, and blah, blah, blah..." So now I understand why they want you to instead pay using a bank transfer -- that's the only way they can collect the 2.9% (they don't take fees on credit card payments).

This is undoubtedly old information for you veteran sellers, but having just figured out how it works, I'm a little peeved. By the time you pay the listing, fees, and the PayPal costs, you've forfeited a fair amount of loot on pricier items.

Done ranting,
Bert

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
i don't see the room for complaints, given the fact the cost of running the business. they're essentially giving you the ability to accept credit card fees, and reduce losses for a percent less than many banks and cc verification.

ymmv... glen

·
Vendor
26,331 Posts
jemsite said:
i don't see the room for complaints, given the fact the cost of running the business. they're essentially giving you the ability to accept credit card fees, and reduce losses for a percent less than many banks and cc verification.

ymmv... glen
Obviously sombody that's never investigated Paypal. :roll:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ask Brent, we had some fun with paypal last year (they reversed a transaction 3 monthes after the payment, only because I was from europe and the account I used wat not certified).
I think what they do is not always legal, especially with reversed transactions...

But it's sometimes very useful for customers...

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glen,
I agree that they need to earn some income for the service they provide. What strikes me as very odd is that there is NO charge to a Personal account seller when someone pays with a bank withdrawal, but there is a 2.9% charge to holders of Premier accounts for the same service. Why would they do that, rather than charge a % on credit card transactions (as is the usual way that merchants pay for the ability to accept credit cards). See the Catch-22 here?

And then there is the fact that they discourage buyers from using a credit card with a silly warning message about non-instantaneous payment. I never understood why before (the reason is that almost all sellers have been compelled to upgrade to a Premier account, and they don't collect any fees if you pay with a credit card).

... hmm, I only thought I was done ranting

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I don't sell very much, but when I do, I specify that only Paypal bank transfers will be accepted. No credit cards. I've had a personal account since '99 and haven't been forced to upgrade yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
paypal makes it near impossible to get a refund if you make a payment and don't receive your item after 30 days. The way to really tick them off is to do a credit card chargeback. Then Paypal is forced to check into the transaction (but not before they send you an angry email telling you to go thru them before you call your credit card company.) I wrote them and asked, how? You can't because they shut down the transaction after 30 days and you can't access their dispute/claim area. For buyers that get ripped thru paypal, a credit card chargeback is the way to go.

·
Vendor
26,331 Posts
And when a seller gets ripped from paypal because they received a stolen credit card payment, paypal freezes your account and goes after the money from the bank account you have linked to your paypal account. And there's nothing you can do about it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
jemsite said:
was not certified

;) ...glen
But it was not necessary for such a low amount when I did the transaction...
The rules changed afterwards.

It's not legal in my opinion to reverse a transaction 3 monthes after the deal has been done... only because general rules had changed during this period.
Luckily for brent I was honest enough to send him the money again...
But i don't really know what he could have done to find me again if i had changed my email adress or if i didn't want to pay...

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
e*bay's customer service isn't much better. I have had a compliant about a deadbeat bidder in the works for months, but they haven't gotten rid of the charges for the sale, and they keep hounding me for the money. And I can't seem to find a list of itemized charges on my invoice.

As for Paypal, I've gotten to the point where I just state in my auctions that if you want to use it, you pay the fees. Between the e*bay listing fee, the final value fee and the paypal fee, it's hard to break even anymore.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ScreamJem7: sounds like a good plan, but I suppose you might lose some sales by not accepting credit cards. In my most recent sale, a buyer became very disgruntled when I suggested he use a bank transfer rather than a card (he refused to do it for security reasons) -- so I reluctantly did the upgrade to Premier.

I'm thinking that another way to go would be to list two different PayPal email addresses (accounts) in your payment instructions: one for accepting credit cards (your Premier account), and the other for bank transfers (your Personal account). Wouldn't that work?

Sounds like a lot of folks have had serious problems with PayPal, with all sorts of issues I never even contemplated. But we basically have no options, do we? Only accepting money orders would eliminate a LOT of buyers. I appreciate the service as I also detest trips to the Post Office to buy money orders, but PayPal appears to be a very messy enterprise.

Bert

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Actually the majority don't have a problem with Paypal. I've used it for hundreds of personal transactions with 0 problems. The store I worked at last year used it for thousands of transactions with no major problems, in fact the owner loved it; daily transactions done, dump to bank account. Yes, they charge 3%, cc companies charge 2 (3 for Am Exp or Discover) but you can't take them as an individual. I would also bet that you make up at least 3% by letting people pay with a cc, check some auctions that were cash or check only vs those that take Paypal.

I'm not saying that there aren't problems, I'm sure there have been, and the website Rich points to does raise some concern. I can only vouch for my experience and it's all been fine.

BTW, a credit card purchase is instant, just like a bank transfer, the echecks take 3-4 days to clear and I haven't figured out a good reason to use those over the standard transfers.

Roger

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ive never had any problems with it so far... so far... lol i like it because i can pay and be paid instantly and not have to wait.. you know most people arent very patient!

·
Vendor
26,331 Posts
I've never had any "problems" with them, then, I don't accept credit cards through them. Personal account, no 3% crap on anything. ;)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Aren't you limited to $500 for a personal account per month, even with bank transfers? I had 2 accounts for this reason - a personal and a premier. But I topped $500 in incoming $$ one month and was told I needed to "upgrade" the account because of this. I figured that saving the 3% on only $500 worth wasn't worth the hassle of all this, so I "upgraded". I know the $500 limit is not an old thing - a couple years ago I did not run into that issue. So, what's the story NOW?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts