Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There, noob-ish question. (insert embarrassed emoticon here)

I am long overdue to oil the fretboards for my two rosewood guitars, my SZ320 and my RGT42FX, both which also happen to be fixed bridge.

I've got some Dunlop 65 lemon oil that I was going to try, and I'm due to change the strings on both guitars anyway.

Is it 'ok' to remove all the strings for the brief time it takes to oil the board, and then restring? Or is it better to remove only a few at a time (say the low 3, then high 3)? Or stick to only one at time? It would seem that the more strings are off, the easier and quicker the task of cleaning and oiling the fretboard would be.

I've observed on the forum here that there may be some mixed opinions on whether to remove all the strings together or not. Please share your experiences/opinions on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
There's nothing wrong with doing it any of the ways you mentioned. I personally remove all the strings. This is because I use Elixer strings so I don't mind taking the time to set up the tremolo again, since I'm not doing it monthly.

If you change strings more often, then you should do it one at a time and save yourself the setup hassle.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Although the hassle aspect you mention is moot for my fixed bridge guitars. (But I'll keep that in mind if I need to do anything to the maple board on my RG550 -- But don't worry, I won't use the lemon oil on that!).

I was more interested in the perceived harm to the neck (from removing all string tension) that some are concerned with.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would suggest you down tune a bit, remove the springs in the back, and pop the whole tremolo out, strings still attached. Polish up the frets and oil the board and then pop the tremolo back in, reattach the springs and bring it back up to tune. Then you can change the strings one at a time. I personally think it would take less time to do this than it does to get it balanced back out after removing all the strings.

Edit: I just realized you said they are both fixed bridge. No need to worry about the trem in that case.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just take em all off! I use Dunlop Deep Conditioner

Why do people think that if you remove the strings....... You then need to set up the trem???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts