Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Find it here on Big River -

Amazon.com: D'Addario Auto Lock Guitar Strap - Acoustic & Electric Guitar Accessories - Easy to Use Auto Locking Guitar Straps - Uses Existing Guitar Strap Buttons - Nylon - Black : Everything Else

I own 2 of these at the moment with a new one arriving tomorrow. Here is why I bought them....

I've got two guitars that share the same shape - a Jem770 & an RG550, both stashed in the Ibanez M300C case. The fit for these guitars is PERFECT in the case, with no room for play or whatnot. These guitars fit tighter than a virgin. However, there isn't room for a strap of any kind (not while attached to the guitar, anyway). And if there's one thing I hate, it's trying to stretch a guitar strap with a leather contact over a strap button, because it tends to "pull" at the strap buttons, which is no good at all.

So I got one of the above said straps, and it takes about two seconds to put both ends on the guitar. It's that simple. Taking it off is just as easy, and they fit terrifically on the buttons, and store away in then M300C's ample roomy case. Here's the catch. The ends of the lock strap are heavy duty plastic, so there's a risk for it scratching up the body on each end of the strap buttons. A little ingenuity and that problem is solved.

I went to Home Depot and got some simple felt pads. I then placed them around the lock on the strap and WHAMMO!!! All done. Here are some clips:

I had to make this thread in haste, so if there's anything I've missed please ask.

- Thank you! 馃槈

Registered
Thats cool.

So are actual strap locks.
Since they lock to the end of the pin, they naturally stay far enough away from the guitar.

I use schallers and have 1 strap for all my guitars.
Musical instrument accessory Tool Strap Auto part Fashion accessory

I installed and extra hanger on the lower side to accommodate different guitars and different heights.

The higher one nearer to the fat part of the strap is padded by the actual strap.

You buy 1 full set of locks and then a bunch of strap pins from stew mac for next to nothing.

I bought 2 sets of locks in the 90s and have been buying the pins for each new guitar.

my strap is 25 years old this year!
Tool Wood Font Hand tool Metal

I never noticed that it is no longer straight. Lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats cool.

So are actual strap locks.
Since they lock to the end of the pin, they naturally stay far enough away from the guitar.

I use schallers and have 1 strap for all my guitars.
View attachment 18965

I installed and extra hanger on the lower side to accommodate different guitars and different heights.

The higher one nearer to the fat part of the strap is padded by the actual strap.

You buy 1 full set of locks and then a bunch of strap pins from stew mac for next to nothing.

I bought 2 sets of locks in the 90s and have been buying the pins for each new guitar.

my strap is 25 years old this year!
View attachment 18966
I never noticed that it is no longer straight. Lol
GClef, is it possible for you to show me (us) a pic of the buttons while attached to the guitar in the case? I'm trying to get a mental image of how this strap tech works, and see if it would fit in the uber-tight case that is the M300C... Thank you good sir!!! :)

Registered
GClef, is it possible for you to show me (us) a pic of the buttons while attached to the guitar in the case? I'm trying to get a mental image of how this strap tech works, and see if it would fit in the uber-tight case that is the M300C... Thank you good sir!!! :)
Ask and ye shall recieve.....

Bicycle handlebar Window Lizard Wood Reptile
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Musical instrument accessory String instrument accessory
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Bumper
Guitar accessory Guitar Wood Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory

As you can see from the pics, the actual button is the same size as a normal one, and fits in the case like stock as well.

The schaller locks have a u shaped cup the pin drops in and clicks in place. You pull the little round knob to release.
Dunlop does it a bit differently.

There is no way in hell that the guitar can be cased with the strap attached. Luckily by design, you don't have to.

The only reason i went with the schallers all those years ago was because my first real guitar, a strat plus deluxe, came with them stock.

They worked well, so i stuck with them.

Let me know if you want to see anything else, if i missed it.

Edit: you can also use a regular strap on the schaller pins, but you have to be careful. I wouldn't risk it though

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Fletch The Wretch , do you remember the old Ibanez boomerang strap buttons? I had them on my RS100 back in the day. Never had to worry about the strap coming loose鈥hat is if you could get them on in the first place. 1983 was a very good year.
While I do not recall those strap buttons (I was in the 8th grade at the time and had never touched a guitar), I just googled them and they look very unique indeed. When my 550 came in, I found that I had to order a new set of buttons because the ones that it came with were absolutely huge. Thankfully the new pair fit my straps perfectly.

Registered
It's funny, at some stage everyone seemed to be getting rid of those boomerang strap buttons on their Roadstars, now people want them again and those selling ask up to $50 for a pair - gtfo :LOL:. Don't waste yer cash, you can get them new for a reasonable sum.

The true test of them would be doing an Yngwie style flip, ha!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's funny, at some stage everyone seemed to be getting rid of those boomerang strap buttons on their Roadstars, now people want them again and those selling ask up to $50 for a pair - gtfo :LOL:. Don't waste yer cash, you can get them new for a reasonable sum.

The true test of them would be doing an Yngwie style flip, ha!
I imagine you're talking about swinging the guitar around your shoulder in a 360, yes? I would never try that, but I imagine whoever did, and dropped their axe would be absolutely MORTIFIED. (Unless of course you're Herman Li...)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the fitting strap for the P-BFB. I use the Clip Lock on all my guitars.
Cheers !
View attachment 19018 View attachment 19018
It's a nice strap for sure, but again, even with just the strap locks on, they would nol fit in my M300C case due to its very tight fit. In the end, for both this strap and mine, a connection still has to be made with the strap and the plastic strap locks. While mine doesn't have strap locks, you still have to connect the strap to the guitar, and on mine the strap just slides on. We'll chalk it up to a tie!

Registered
I imagine you're talking about swinging the guitar around your shoulder in a 360, yes? I would never try that, but I imagine whoever did, and dropped their axe would be absolutely MORTIFIED. (Unless of course you're Herman Li...)

Yep.

I wouldn't either, ha! I believe Yngwie uses the DiM clip-lock things, so the chances of it flying off are minimal, unless the buttons rip out of the guitar (I'm sure he's done that too). Well, I don't think he worries - Strats can take a beating, and he's happy chucking them in a pile at home sans stands, cases etc. That's rawk \m/.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And what is your strap ?
Amazon.com: D'Addario Auto Lock Guitar Strap - Acoustic & Electric Guitar Accessories - Easy to Use Auto Locking Guitar Straps - Uses Existing Guitar Strap Buttons - Nylon - Black : Everything Else
Takes about 2 seconds to either put it on or take it off. Very secure, and the strap itself is very comfortable.

As can be seen in the above pics, I put on some felt pads on the underside of the connectors, so that the surface of the plastic (heavy duty) connectors would not press against / scratch the area around the guitar buttons.

It's a great strap!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts