These are my choices:
Ibanez  JEM 7DBK
            JEM 7VWH
            JEM 555
            RG570
            JS 1000
ESP  SRC Model
Carvin DC127
I play metal and fast Satriani and Vai type stuff. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Okay I have narrowed it down to these guitars-HELP

take the high end ibanez 7dbk and vwh dont take the 555 ive had bad experiences like everyone with the trem, js 1000 is good if you play vai and satch a hard tail would suck stay away from the src and i really dont know much about carvin guitars. my $0.02

·
Registered
2,629 Posts

If you can swing the ching, VWH all the way man!!!! the others all pale in comparison!!!
Jeremy

·
Registered
306 Posts

I can only speak for the Ibanez models and the Jem7VWH is by far the winner. -Andy

·
Registered
675 Posts

Tough choices, but definitely eliminate the 555!

Have you played them all yet? Let your fingers make the decision.:) Buy the guitar that suits your style and is the most comfortable for you.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts

well there are some rather different guitars there so it seems to me as if you're choosing based solely on looks.

You've got the ESP, a through-neck strings through body 2-2-1 24 fretter, next to the JS1000 a 22 fret bolt on with twin humbuckers:)

I think you need to decide exactly what features you need, 22 frets or 24, fixed bridge or trem, etc:)

Then you can go try guitars with those features and then make a more informed choice :) Either that or just get the JEM7VWH ;)

(Edited by jono at 2:48 am on July 3, 2001)

·
Registered
602 Posts

Buy the one that YOU like. 7VWH is a great choice, depending on your budget.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Although that's not the general opinion, I'd choose the 7DBK instead of the 7VWH (just by a matter of sound and looks, not because it's best but because I like the most).

·
Registered
848 Posts

When you ask this question at the Jemsite forum you have to expect to get mostly pro-JEM suggestions.

The guitars that you have listed have a wide price range. The 7VWH is the best guitar of the lot, but it doesn't come cheap.

Oh, what the heck, buy the VWH :)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

the 570 is better than the 555, and cheaper too.

I love the 7D, But the 7VWH comes up top of that list,
the whiteness and goldness is too much for some people, me included, but the playability, feel and quality far far far outweighed my initial repulsions.

(plus I refinished it black)

7VWH :thumbsup:

·
Registered
436 Posts

OK, I'll be the only supporter of Carvin...

I've owned a D127. Nice guitars espically for the price. When it comes to price, you can't really touch Carvin. They have quite high quality for little cash...

The Jems are good and I can't say anymore than what's been said. Just wanted to put my say in for Carvin. Great quality at a great price...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hi thanks for all the help guys. Yes I have played all of these gutiars. the reason they are all so diverse such as the ESP being so different than the JS1000 is because one of these lucky ladies is going to be a backup guitar. I already have a PEavey wolfgang that I absoultely love and so I wanna get something that has got a different sound to it. I like the floyd rose but I am not Dead set on having one. I used to own a les paul and stop tails are cool too. I think I am gonna go w/ an RG570 because it does play nice but is cheap enough to justify being a backup. thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts

I'd go for the ESP SRC because it has a fixed bridge, the neck-thru and an ebony fretboard (like the vwh) and an alder body (also vwh).

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

once youve played lo-pro edge I found nothing else will do,

used to play strats Lp's and jackson for years, but made the switch to jems and never looked back

the 570 is very sweet

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

i have a couple of RG470's and those are really sweet man! the main difference between an RG470 and 570 is that the 570's have the bubinga skunk stripe and the neck thickness is only 1mm different. other than that, it's the same.

RG is really cool and it totally won't hurt your pocket book. i have tried the 7VWH and liked it but the neck was a little too thick for me; i'm picky. i have the 7DBK and totally love it. the tone is great! awesome for deep crunch chug metal!!!! i also have a DNA....which is the same or very close to a DBK but with a cool swirl! DNA has breeds in it and so does the DBK. no, i'm not rich...in debt!!!! good luck man! the RG series will be excellent for you for a backup.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

It is your choice so go for the one you like more. I would eliminate all except for JemVWH and JS1000 (cause those are the very best Ibanez's) and than chose the one that you like more. If you want 24 frets go for the Jem, if you like H/H pickups config and toggle switches go for the JS... Well, if you want a backup, you may want to stay with the RG570, but i'd go with the Jem or JS....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Quote: from shredmaster on 9:03 am on July 10, 2001
i have a couple of RG470's and those are really sweet man! the main difference between an RG470 and 570 is that the 570's have the bubinga skunk stripe and the neck thickness is only 1mm different. other than that, it's the same.
Technically it is the same thing but the Lo-Pro vs. Lo-Trs bridges comes to an issue.
I've had an RG470 for 6 years until i traded it for a Universe. the RG470 is a really good guitar for its price, but nowhere near the 570's.
My friend has an '91 RG570 and found it to be a very stable guitar, even though it has been through hell and back (cracked head at headstock but was redone).
I'd definitely get a 550 or a 570 for an RG because of the Lo-pro bridge alone. a 770 would be my preferred choice cause a) a few of us dig "loud" colored guitars and b) they're inexpensive for its features.
If I ever get a Jem (or any particular guitar for that matter), it's destined to be modified anyhow. If you plan on modifying the guitar, save yourself some $ and stick to the higher end RG series.

·
Registered
644 Posts

I have to agree with you on this one....I myself am torn between the SRC and a JEM....I love the JEMs, but don't know if I would welcome the hassle of the Edge....plus, my band tunes down to Drop-C for some songs, so that kinda puts a cramp on having a Floyd....my two cents is if you need tuning flexibility, get one of the fixed bridges of course....if you need the lower tuning, like I do, get a UV or an RG7620, I have seen them go CHEAP on EBay in the past two weeks....if you prefer playing fast, of course get an Ibanez, probably the 7VWH for all of it's features....and I guess I should start taking my own advice too....LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts