Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to play on the RG2550E today in a music store, and comparing the feel of these newer Prestige RG's to the older ones, I noticed quite a drastic difference. I am kinda hoping this was a one-off and I put it down to being just a badly set-up shop guitar, but it's not that it played badly or anything. What I noticed was there was a strange lack of tension (yes, the guitar was tuned to pitch), almost like playing a Gibson scale guitar (24.75"). It seemed to lack the "snap" of older RG's. Does anyone else notice a difference like this or did I get a bad example?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well, I haven't played any of the new higher end RGs (x5xx) apart from an RGA121 (which was quite nice), but iirc the main difference is the neck is no longer that superslim wizard or super wizard, and the trem is different too now, I guess (no longer the original Edge or Lo-pro edge.) Those probably account for the difference, but it's strange that you would experience as if it felt like a shorter scale length. How did you check the pitch? At the guitar center I go to, it's common to find them tuned down a half step (when they are tuned at all) to make them play a bit easier and (I guess) make the strings last a bit longer. They have practically quit carrying Ibanez lately though.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Possibly two trem springs instead of three would soften up the feel of the guitar? I gotta say the last RG3120 I played was a far nicer guitar to play than any original Japanese RG I have ever picked up - gorgeous thing, just outrageously expensive here downunder!

Cheers

David

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
David McCarroll said:
Possibly two trem springs instead of three would soften up the feel of the guitar? I gotta say the last RG3120 I played was a far nicer guitar to play than any original Japanese RG I have ever picked up - gorgeous thing, just outrageously expensive here downunder!

Cheers

David
The rg3120 is a japanese rg just fyi >.>
I agree in some regards the older guitars do play better in general than the newer stuff and thats quite a bit sad.

·
Registered
300 Posts
sniperfrommars1 said:
The rg3120 is a japanese rg just fyi >.>
I agree in some regards the older guitars do play better in general than the newer stuff and thats quite a bit sad.
I believe he was aware that it is japanese, and just making the comparison with the older style japanese RG's.

I would never go back to the older RG's. I currently own just the one RG (RGT220H) and it is a better guitar in virtually every aspect than the original RG's. It is one of the best playing Ibanez guitars i have ever picked up.
I am also one of the rare breed who prefers the Edge pro bridge to the Lo-pro.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The RGT isn't really what I was trying to compare, it'd be more like the RG550 & RG2550. I guess the RGT being a thru-neck would probably feel different to a bolt-on RG neck anyway?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Deeswift said:
The RGT isn't really what I was trying to compare, it'd be more like the RG550 & RG2550. I guess the RGT being a thru-neck would probably feel different to a bolt-on RG neck anyway?
Which is whay i made the point about the trem. That said i was never tempted to purchase any RG until last year. i know the RG550 has a loyal (and seemingly growing) fan base, but i was never really interested in owning one. I did like the 2550, except the colour, when i tried one in Ishibashi a couple of months ago. My friend was trying out an SZ prior to purchase and i picked one up to jam along with him. Nice guitar and certainly good value in my opinion, but perhaps not better (but certainly not worse) than the 550. But as i say, i prefer the new bridge.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
being a local setup guy, i happen to try many old and new RGs. i do own many old-style RGs (i mean old, i.e. 1-pc Wizard, square neck/body joint etc). the main difference i feel everytime i play a new RG is that they are way way sturdier, more solid especially the neck/body joint, they just won't move even under Vai-ish abuse. the fretboard is perfect, i never had to level one. the old RGs are less sturdy and they often need a nice fretboard level, ok they're old but i'd bet that it's not just a matter of age. another huge difference i feel, better, i hear, is the sound. the old RGs sounds twice a new Prestige. i don't think it's just a matter of age of the woods, i think that the 1-pc neck and the square neck/body joint give a huge help for a better sound overall. i'm talking about unplugged sound, of course. i think that these new 3-pc or 5-pc necks just don't let the sound running back & forth to the body, in fact they don't vibrate on your belly. that's important sound-wise, to me. the old RGs just scream and they deliver kicks on your belly when you strum them. also, i agree the new necks aren't as slim as the good ol' Wizards. i love the old Wizard feel, seems like Ibanez made it after my hands measurements. oh and i prefer the Edge trem, they're smoother than the the Edge-Pro, imho, so much that often when you strum hardly it reacts and starts fluttering by itself, oh i love it!
did i say i prefer the old RGs?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
It's in the setup. I've got an '89 and an '04 RG & Prestige and they both play equally well.

IMHO, there is a subtle difference in the finish of the '04 neck, but this only improves the playability.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
kirk said:
It's in the setup. I've got an '89 and an '04 RG & Prestige and they both play equally well.
nope, i setup all the guitars pretty much the same (except when clients have their own specs) and they do not sound the same at all. there's a huge difference between the old RGs and the new Prestiges (unplugged). and i'm talking about sound, not playing.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I hate the Prestige head stock and prefer the older 'Ibanez' logo for looks. I know that has nothing to do with the sound however...... Just my two cents worth.

Wolfram

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm more annoyed about the fact that they don't match the headstock colour to the body now, rather than the Prestige headstock logo, etc. Just putting a generic black one on most guitars seems a bit "cheap".

Anyway, cosmetics aside, it's about the feel, and I just can't put my finger on why they feel so different. I mean, they're built from the same materials (basswood/maple/rosewood), have the same scale length, etc... I don't get it. Maybe I just did get a bad example, but maybe Nuno has a point too when he mentioned the 1-pc neck. Coming from playing a 1988 RG and an a 1990 RG, to my first try on a Prestige, is just strange. I expected it to feel familiar. Sure, the necks aren't as slim, but there's only about 1mm difference in the thickness now. If anything, a thicker neck should sustain better anyway, that's one good thing.

I wonder also if it's the same with new vs. old Jems? I haven't played one since 1990!

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
I've owned a Jem7v before I sold it cos credit cards are up my ass and I acquire the jem77bfp year 91, the jem 77bfp are better in terms of playability and sound, the feel of the neck is just amazing

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm not so sure. I had a shot of an old late 80's/early 90's RG550 a while back and, apart from the maple fretboard, I thought it sounded and played fairly similar to my 6 month-old RG2550. I don't think Ibanez's quality has worsened or bettered - IMO it has always been, and still is, and will continue to be, a quality guitar. Certainly a lot better than much of the American pish that the guitar stores are full of.

I do agree with the point about the headstock colours. I think it's something Ibanez should look seriously at. Oh, and some "interesting" body colours like Desert Yellow and Loch Ness Green would we welcome too :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
I miss the "old" style thin RG necks. The Prestige necks are good, no doubt about that. But my preference is for the previous style.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I doubt I'd be bothered about the difference in neck size, there's only 1mm in it, so I don't think it'll make a lot of difference. Good thing is that RG necks are stronger now due to being 5-piece, and less prone to breakage at the weakest point. As for the profile, it's right between the old RG neck and a Jem neck.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
The new designs dont sit with me as well. They certainly are not bad guitars, but i think most will agree with me when i see they changed all the wrong things >.> 1mm difference in neck thickness doesnt add tone, and i dont recall a thread where any of us were asking for five piece necks and an inferior tremolo setup (mostly just the locking studs being my major complaint, hell i personally dont even like the lo-pro)

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Of course, Ibanez aren't gonna be asking us if we want 5-piece necks, but IMO it is a good thing because it's stronger, especially with the volute and front-mounted nut. The locking bridge pins aren't a big deal, and to be honest a lot of people love the Edge Pro. Personally I wouldn't worry about tuning stability until later on. I dunno, I can't really fault the new guitars in terms of quality and good design, only the colours are depressing, that's the main drawback for me, and why if I was to buy a 2550E, I'd get it repainted in a good colour ASAP!

Thicker necks do kinda add tone, come to think of it. The neck influences sustain, and even though 1mm would barely make a difference, it certainly isn't gonna be worse for being slightly thicker. It's just down to whether you can get used to that extra 1mm. If the guitar is set up well it shouldn't be an issue, you'll get used to it eventually.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The prestige necks are 1mm thicker at the first fret than the original wizard profile. To me, that's not that big of a deal. BUT, they are also 2mm wider at the last fret. That's where I really notice the difference. The taper of the entire fingerboard is effected. They just don't feel right to me.

I don't mind the 5 piece construction, it makes for a stronger neck. --Jason

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Deeswift said:
Of course, Ibanez aren't gonna be asking us if we want 5-piece necks, but IMO it is a good thing because it's stronger, especially with the volute and front-mounted nut. The locking bridge pins aren't a big deal, and to be honest a lot of people love the Edge Pro. Personally I wouldn't worry about tuning stability until later on. I dunno, I can't really fault the new guitars in terms of quality and good design, only the colours are depressing, that's the main drawback for me, and why if I was to buy a 2550E, I'd get it repainted in a good colour ASAP!

Thicker necks do kinda add tone, come to think of it. The neck influences sustain, and even though 1mm would barely make a difference, it certainly isn't gonna be worse for being slightly thicker. It's just down to whether you can get used to that extra 1mm. If the guitar is set up well it shouldn't be an issue, you'll get used to it eventually.
I dug the bubinga/walnut strips as i thought they added structural integrity and the volute is a good thing of course, but i still prefer through the neck locking nuts, ive seen too many wormholed jackson nuts, im not saying this will happen with the ibanez''s but i prefer the older through the neck nut design. I didnt need a five piece neck personally as ive never had a major injury to one of my ibanez necks. At the most ive seen a minimal amount of cracking around the locking nuts due to overtightening, and mostly on older rg's. If you wanta thicker neck play my les paul, i personally dont want a thicker profile on my ibanez's hell thats what alot of players love about the older models. Why do you think the 5xx series is so popular now?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts