Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Theres been quite a few posts around about it.

Alot of people consider the older trems like the Edge and Lo Pro Edge to be superior to the Edge pro currently available.

Same story with the old wizard profile compared to the new.

·
Registered
450 Posts
are the older jems thinner profile to the new.... i have an '06... it is heaps fatter than my 570 original wizard necks but i thought most jems had the same profile as the the wizard 2

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I don't believe the old Ibanez is really better than new. On the other hand, the couple of RG's I've had from back in the day (1987 RG550 and 1990 RG750) were put together flawlessly. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the two more recent RG's I've had (2001 RG3120 Prestige and 2007 RG20th). Both have inferior neck pockets compared to the oldies. The RG20th paint isn't as well applied as the original 550, it's a little too thin like they were running short on paint, so you tend to notice this in the cavities. The RG3120 pocket was shocking. I could easily fit 2 business cards down there.

And on another hand still (yes, I have three hands!), I think the necks are better constructed nowadays, they are multi-piece, so less likely to warp.

The best playing RG I've owned is the 750, then the RG20th, the original 550, and the 3120 (the most expensive one when bought new) was worst of all.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Three hands :wink:

So......you can play the guitar and scratch your ass at the same time :D

(and believe me.......i cleaned that up a lot to what i was originally gonna put :razz: )

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I think the necks have improved, obviously theirs another major transition point and i think dee will definitely agree on this.......the all access neck joint, lo-pro edge period. It was like playing a completely different instrument for me, and i think others probably feel the same.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Oh yeah, for me it was a pretty big difference in feel, but overall it still felt like I was playing an Ibanez RG. Gotta love the access to upper frets the AANJ gives, and the Lo-Pro is a wicked bridge. I'm just as happy on the old neck joint and original Edge, though. The Edge Pro doesn't interest me much.

For feel, Original Edge can't be beat, IMO. For looks it'd be the Lo-Pro.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Oh yeah, for me it was a pretty big difference in feel, but overall it still felt like I was playing an Ibanez RG. Gotta love the access to upper frets the AANJ gives, and the Lo-Pro is a wicked bridge. I'm just as happy on the old neck joint and original Edge, though. The Edge Pro doesn't interest me much.

For feel, Original Edge can't be beat, IMO. For looks it'd be the Lo-Pro.
Yeah i think they made solid improvements with both designs. I think their neck joints could get better. Their are fundamental manufacturing issues with both neck joints that cause some major problems, as im sure youve experienced. Still they are fixable issues for the most part.

·
Registered
541 Posts
the one BIG improvement about the new ones is that some genius decided you don't need 2 humungous M4 screws through the neck to hold the locking nut down.........

The string pressure holds the lock nut down
All you need is a couple of small screws just to stop it moving side to side and to stop the fukr falling off when you take off the pressure(strings)!

Max

·
Registered
541 Posts
the one BIG improvement about the new ones is that some genius decided you don't need 2 humungous M4 screws through the neck to hold the locking nut down.........

All you need is a couple of small screws just to stop it moving side to side and to stop the fukr falling off when you take off the pressure(strings)!

Max
But for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.........

So the money spent on designing the new lock nut had to be recovered, so some F***** W****** decided we could do without locking posts.... Doh!

Max

·
Vendor
26,747 Posts

Max
I see the top mount nuts as a move just as dumb as removing the locking studs. They suck, 1 in 10 will have a stripped hole, and over time slacking the strings using the trem will oblong the holes, then have fun repairing them.

BRING BACK THE THRU MOUNT NUTS!!!

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
i started a thread simular to this one.only i didnt quote it very well.ive never tried the new jems 7vwh,jem 10th.jem 20th,ive heard them on youtube they sound amazing (im a big fan of the bad horsie jem) but the early 777s are still awsome tools.next mission is to buy a 777dy awsome guitars

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.