Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've sold a couple guitars over the past few weeks, and now I'm selling my skydiving rig. When all is said and done, I'm seriously considering buying another Jem. I still have a Strat, and when I owned a DBK and a UVMC, I still couldn't go more than a half hour with one of the other guitars... I'd always plug my VWH back in to play. So, obviously it's my favorite, and I'm sure many of you will agree, it's a very fitting guitar for a lot of people. Just well balanced all around.

I made the mistake of buying a 777SK from someone less than reputable from evilbay a couple years back... I got it in the mail, and was very dissappointed in it's condition. So, I sent it back before testing it out. The last maple fingerboard guitar I played was an Ibanez Silver Series, about 13 years ago before my stepfather replaced the neck with a carvin neck. I did like the maple a lot though.

Although I've got very little experience with maple, I am very drawn to wanting something that has a maple fingerboard, and if I decide to buy another guitar, I'm fairly set on getting an older Jem if I can find one. I'd murder for a BFP. I don't know what the draw is... parhaps it was the solid, heavy feel of it that I remember.

I'm just curious to know what all of your opinions are on maple. I'm very used to ebony... and although rosewood is pretty sweet, I still don't like it as much as ebony. It's been a while since I've played anything maple, and I honestly can't make a comparison based on something I played over 10 years ago.

What older model Jems would you guys recommend? As far as neck size, etc... that doesn't make much of a difference to me. I have large hands and long fingers, so adjusting has never phased me.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
My very first Jem was an '88 DY with pyramids. Coming from the world of Strats, this was a hot-rod. Since then I've had both "vintage" and AANJ type Jems and UV's and maybe because I'm an older guy who cut my teeth on Strats for a long time, I'm more comfortable with the original style.

My '90 LGM UVSK is spectacular in both sound and playability. My 2002 UV doesn't come close. (IMHO)

I love 'em both, but when I want to get serious I pick up the old ones.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Honestly I love maple. I once got to play a BFP for a short (too damn short) time and I thought it was gorgeous. Maple seems more of a "natural" feel than rosewood or ebony. So to conclude; MAPLE IS EXCELLENT!!!

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I have a 92' BFP....and I'll tell ya man....I am lovin it:) It's the first maple board I owned since my very first axe. (strat) I really like the maple....sooo smooth. I also have a VWH with the ebony. I have been playing only my BFP since I got it a couple months ago. I finally picked up my VWH again and guess what....I like the feel of the older maple Jem neck better now. (or maybe I just got used to it is all)

Nightmeir.....I would go for the BFP if I were you. And I am saying this from personal experience;)

Plus it is such a stunning beauty of a guitar to boot:)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want pics : )

If I buy one, I'm hoping I can at least get one with the neck in excellent shape. Wear isn't an issue... I kinda like the look of a worn-in maple fretboard. I'd consider refinishing the body if it were a bit chopped up. Like the VWH, I see it as something I'd keep around permanently.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Knightmeir said:
I want pics : )

If I buy one, I'm hoping I can at least get one with the neck in excellent shape. Wear isn't an issue... I kinda like the look of a worn-in maple fretboard. I'd consider refinishing the body if it were a bit chopped up. Like the VWH, I see it as something I'd keep around permanently.
Give me your email, or PM me with it and I'll send um. She is Dead Mint:)

·
Registered
764 Posts
.....(not just because I have one for sale:) ) but the BFP is a great guitar.... the guitar that got me intl Ibanez I'd say...... FOr years I had tons on maple boards..... They just seem faster... I don't know why..... Unfortunately it's a long time since Ibanez made a maple board Jem and maple does show wear alot more than RW. Great guitar though..... and awasome for projects and swirls because they are back routed!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I like maple alot, and I really prefer the older jem necks.

I played 93 7vwh, back to back with my '8877fp, and I still preferred the fp. Actually apart from the ebony board, I really didn't like the VWH at all

*waits for cries of "Heresy"*

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
nickcoumbe said:
I like maple alot, and I really prefer the older jem necks.

I played 93 7vwh, back to back with my '8877fp, and I still preferred the fp. Actually apart from the ebony board, I really didn't like the VWH at all

*waits for cries of "Heresy"*
:lol: You better run for cover nick:lol:

But I have to agree (only on the liking the feel of the older neck better) I went back to my BFP and 88FP's too;) But I will always LOVE the VWH:) Its an awesone axe!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.