Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any insight as to why the hell Ibanez opted to not cover the truss adjustment nut on many of the older Prestige models?
I've got a RG3120 and a RGT3120 with no cover and they lok like butt. Why?????

·
Vendor
26,705 Posts
Because a truss cover is better as case candy than anything functional. Working guitars need constant adjustment as they go from warm to cool to dry to wet environs. A truss cover is just a nuisance that's in the way.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rich said:
Because a truss cover is better as case candy than anything functional. Working guitars need constant adjustment as they go from warm to cool to dry to wet environs. A truss cover is just a nuisance that's in the way.
Hmmm Well you have a point Although I'm not sure how valid it seems to me. PRS and Gibson have covers as well as most high end guitars. I've done some traveling with my stuff (Cal To Texas and betwixt :) ) and didn't need to adjust the truss rod at all?? The could have at the VERY least cleaned the hole out. Mine look like someone dug it out with a shovel.

·
Vendor
26,705 Posts
My LP Custom's truss cover screw holes were so stripped within a year the cover always stayed in the case. So what looks worse, a missing cover with holes drilled and non finished, or, a finished truss channel, that just isn't perfect?

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Rich is correct in that the covers are a nuisance for a player axe but that is certainly not the reason why they left them off. If that were the case no RG550 would ever have shipped with them. LOL. Taking them off and leaving them off is an option best left to the paying customer.

This is another example of Ibanez cost cutting and laziness...they just cut out the expense of an intricate cover that might or might not match the style of the guitar. The most annoying thing is the trussrod cavity is usually messy/sloppy leaving the axe with an unfinished look (as opposed to some other axes with exposed trussrod adjusters in the heel of the neck)... glen

·
Vendor
26,705 Posts
cough**bullsh!t.

The most expensive J Customs do not have truss covers but the cheapest Prestige have very nice aluminum covers now instead of the cheap platsic covers they used to. :roll:

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
^^ good spin.

it looks unfinished. period. no spin can change that fact. if it were "player reason" as you said then NO MODEL WOULD COME WITH THEM.

maybe the nice covers will be added to new models if enough negative feedback is given and people stop the spin... glen

·
Vendor
26,705 Posts
What *spin*,?! Keep the covers, I'll take them just as they are. [marketting and the design team decide what models they want to be perceived as "real players"]

Looks just horrid doesn't it?!

Puhlease....

·
Vendor
26,705 Posts
Spin? Like comparing a 98' to a 2005?!?! Right....

I didn't cherry pick, that's the first [new] guitar I grabbed I knew was coverless, an 8270 to be specific.

>>[marketting and the design team decide what models they want to be perceived as "real players"]

[let me know what you didn't understand]

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
they're messy. do a forum search this comes up over and over. there is often crud all in the trussrod.

now, i believe even you can comprehend the stupidity of calling a HAM90 a player over a RG3120 for example ;) ...glen

·
Vendor
26,705 Posts
Yea, that 90th channel looks terrible...... :roll:

The HAM doesn't have one for the obvious reason, TEXTURE!! [or as part of the design, take your pick] :roll:
The old [original] 3120 did NOT have a truss cover if you remember correctly.

Next dance.....

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
i didn't say the HAM should have one, just it's a notable offender of messy trussrod. the pic you have you probably spend 10 minutes polishing.

first you bitch about 1988 models now you complain i'm talking about NEWER 3120 models (player axe) that DID have a truss rod cover.

i hope you have a nice new years eve date for dinner & dancing 'cause you're warmed up! ;) ...glen

·
Vendor
26,705 Posts
What a trip. I spent 10 minutes doing what? Polishing the inside of a truss channel? For THIS thread?! Right out of the case, pic, and right back in. :roll:

I bitch about you trying to compare 1998 quality control with 2005, and then went ahead and showed you you were talking out of the wrong orafice, again.

That the new 3120 DOES have a cover is just plain stupid, except to you who thinks it should have one obviously.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rich said:
What *spin*,?! Keep the covers, I'll take them just as they are. [marketting and the design team decide what models they want to be perceived as "real players"]

Looks just horrid doesn't it?!

Puhlease....
That's a really clean rout. Perhaps Ibanez has cleaned them up a bit.The two I have look very rough and have white powder and finish blemishes. My favorite look is the two USRG30 I have with NO truss rod adjustment point :) the head looks very clean.
This is an exaple of what I'm looking at. : My RG3120, Les Paul, USRG30 and an import Charvel. Notice the nice clean rout on the charvel and there is no truss cover.

·
Vendor
26,705 Posts
I can't see enough of that 3120 channel to see, but nobody ever accused Fugijen of doing perfect work on any part of a guitar. The older stuff had plenty of blems, or could also be very clean, the older J Customs were the same way. Either way I'd much rather not have the truss cover, and I'm not going to loose any sleep over how much sawdust was in the rout when they finished it. What's idiotic is somebody saying it's to cut costs because even the bottom line crap has truss covers. I'd wager it takes more time [which costs way more in real $'s] to finish that rout than to throw a 25 cent cover over it. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the point I was trying to make is that Ibanez is known for their supurb attention to detail. I understand that one reason they don't mass produce guitar bodies in the US is due to the strict laws against some kinds of finishes used on the guitar and thereby yealding a lesser finish.. In my opinion a guitar that costs over $1K should at least have a nice clean setup. It's not the end of the world and I do understand the advantage of having access to the nut. Many of the Jackson guitars I look at (used) are missing the rear spring cover for that same reason, but they mostly have truss covers. I think where the cost cutting has taken place is in the lack of extra prep work that it would take to clean it up a bit. On the lower end ones they just slap a cheap plastic cover on it to look nice.
I guess I'll just leave them open and not worry too much

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
ibanez doesn't have superb attention to detail but i agree with you Donovan for the most part. The lack of prep work is deplorable for a $2-3K LIST price axe.

Also, noone says they need to put a cheap plastic cover on. They could put a nice, inlayed wood cover and they would if they had "superb attention do detail".

I have a few custom made JEM/UV inlayed headstock covers and the inlay work is AMAZING something beyond what Ibanez is capable of thinking about nevermind producing... glen

·
Vendor
26,705 Posts
jemsite said:
Also, noone says they need to put a cheap plastic cover on. They could put a nice, inlayed wood cover and they would if they had "superb attention do detail".

I have a few custom made JEM/UV inlayed headstock covers and the inlay work is AMAZING something beyond what Ibanez is capable of thinking about nevermind producing... glen
I think PRS does that on some of their $6-8000 guitars. :roll:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.