Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently working on a project Ibanez RG. I have seen these on/off switches and was wondering if I could use two of them (one for each humbucker) instead of a pickup selector. Would it allow me to shut one pickup on and the other off or both on or both off, etc.?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I am currently working on a project Ibanez RG. I have seen these on/off switches and was wondering if I could use two of them (one for each humbucker) instead of a pickup selector. Would it allow me to shut one pickup on and the other off or both on or both off, etc.?
Sure you can do it but if you use on/off switches, the only extra sound you can get (compared to a 3 way toggle) is no sound at all (both humbuckers off). That may be something you want but blade switches are considered more convenient in a performance situation. Then again, some folks have no issues manipulating multiple switches will performing.

A 5 way blade switch will give you more tonal options in a simpler format but if you use (2) 3 way mini toggles (on/off/on), you can do things like shut off one coil of a humbucker or run the coils of a humbucker in parallel.

There is no right way or wrong way to do what you're asking. I'd suggest you do a quick search on guitar wiring (on Google) and look at all things you can do with various switching combos before you commit to anything.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It's a tough one. You'd need a 2in/2out switch so you can choose between pickup running into controls and a loop direct from ground to live.

*edit* Right, I'm pretty sure I've got it, but I'm not a wiring expert. Use a 2 way on/on, one for each pup. Use hot out from pickup to top left lug and out from top right to jack hot. Use bottom left lug for ground from jack and bottom right to hot out. Wire the two middle lugs together and you should have it.

Looks like this:

If that fails, use this: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=kill_switch and put the pickups through the tone controls between switch and hot tip.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It's a tough one. You'd need a 2in/2out switch so you can choose between pickup running into controls and a loop direct from ground to live.
You don't necessarily have to disconnect the pickup from the circuit when it's "off", so a on/off switch for each pickup should suffice (actually, one of my killswitches is nothing more than a on/off switch between jack hot and jack ground, which works fine).

Just wiring the pickups in series and attaching the switches like this should work:
Code:
[hot]____________[pu]__________________[pu]_____________[ground]
          |                 |   |                 |
          |_[on/off switch]_|   |_[on/off switch]_|

·
Registered
953 Posts
The problem with shorting out the hot to ground when switching the pickup off is you'll silence the entire guitar! Generally, when the pickups are in parallel, they should be switched off by disconnecting. When the pickups are wired in series, then you switch off by shorting. In fact the latter is true for switching off one coil of a conventional humbucker.
Jim

Why not use a normal 3 way and one mini. If the mini is ON-OFF-ON double pole double throw, then you can tap either coil of both humbuckers!

·
Registered
355 Posts
my Telecaster is set up like this. it has a 3 way with two humbuckers and a mini switch for coil taps. winds up giving me 6 sounds.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just wiring the pickups in series and attaching the switches like this should work:
Code:
[hot]____________[pu]__________________[pu]_____________[ground]
          |                 |   |                 |
          |_[on/off switch]_|   |_[on/off switch]_|
Great idea.

The problem with shorting out the hot to ground when switching the pickup off is you'll silence the entire guitar!
Yeah I should have thought of that actually...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts