Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Bare Knuckle Apache into my 1977 Fender Musicmaster.

It has be single coil and a volume and tone control.

I want to install a small clean boost to drive a small valve amp into overdrive, so in essence a bit like changing from neck to bridge pu in terms of feel.

It has to be on a push/push pot on either the volume or tone. This is important.

So any ideas where I start? I'm guessing that no one else has done this exactly so there won't be a schematic but any help on the components and layout would be appreciated.

Also, is it possible to do it without using a battery?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So no ideas?

How about going active then?

I guess I could install an emg afterburner or pa2 boost then attach that to the push/push to switch it on and off?

·
Registered
242 Posts
You can't boost without a battery. Since you can't add from nothing, you need a battery to add more volts to your signal, always think of batteryless operations as cutting.

So if you want a boost, without a battery, you'll need a high output pickup, then a cut switch. The real trick would be to find a high output single coil pickup that you like the sound of. You'll probably also have to add in a capacitor to retain the high end of the single coil, if one's not built into the knob already.

I believe fender deluxe strats have a volume knob with a button built in under the "volume" label. So maybe you can find that part and a wiring schematic for a place to start?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can't boost without a battery. Since you can't add from nothing, you need a battery to add more volts to your signal, always think of batteryless operations as cutting.

So if you want a boost, without a battery, you'll need a high output pickup, then a cut switch. The real trick would be to find a high output single coil pickup that you like the sound of. You'll probably also have to add in a capacitor to retain the high end of the single coil, if one's not built into the knob already.

I believe fender deluxe strats have a volume knob with a button built in under the "volume" label. So maybe you can find that part and a wiring schematic for a place to start?
Yep, so not possible. I have the pickup installed that I want and I don't want to go high output for the base tone.

Started looking at the option of using an EMG boost in the on position then attaching that to a push push. Looks doable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.