Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a single humbucker/floydy thing coming together and I need to think about a bridge pickup. Since I'm intentionally painting myself into a corner to force some growth, I'm looking for something that can handle lead work while splitting or going into parallel well for bright cleans. Some pickups I've played that do this well follow (but I'm looking for something a little different):

• Gravity Storm (Can't find a fault! Maybe I'll go back to this)
  • Bare Knuckles Abraxas (organic, great lead tone, but a little dry)
  • Bare Knuckle Crawler (the Abraxas juiced up. Split tone not as nice, but holy hell, what a growly and smooth tone)

I'm really looking for a humbucker that oozes harmonics while not being super hot. I don't mind a loose bottom end if the pickup inspires. Any suggestions? TIA!

·
Registered
707 Posts
A Seymour Duncan 59/Custom hybrid might be worth checking out. In the Duncan lineup, it's in the medium heat bracket; good overtones and dynamics (thanks to coils with different wire gauge and no. of winds); splitting the Custom coil (which is about 7k dcr) yields a useable s/c sound that won't wimp out in the bridge position.

If you're a tinkerer, find a used 59b and Custom 5 and take it from there. Different magnets also yield different flavours.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Fwiw, the difference between the 59/C and the DiMarzio 'dual resonance' design is that the latter uses different gauge wire for both coils, with the same number of turns per coil; the 59/C has that plus the different number of turns. It's a pretty versatile pup - years ago, Keith Merrow did a heavy/djenty demo of various passive and active Duncans, including the 59/C, which was no slouch.

Yes, the Screamin' Demon is another good choice. Talking of underrated, the Parallel Axis TB-3 might be another contender. It's in the slightly hotter than PAF territory, and less hot/compressed/midrangey than its higher output brethen. I also have a 1hb guitar and thought about putting one in there at one point.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The DiMarzio Evolution 2 is a pickup that really surprised me. Not popular, but a really good all-around, do anything pickup I like.
I'll second this, though based on admittedly limited experience in pickup experimentation. I've used an Evo 2 bridge pickup in a few different guitars and I do keep coming back to it as my favorite.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TY for the direction, gang. I think I'll likely end up with another Abraxas or Gravity Storm. Both have great harmonics, dynamics, and split really well. The guitar will arrive with an EVH '78 pickup clone, which I know nothing about. That could be cool, too.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
You could give “The One” a try. It’s name sounds promising…

·
Registered
557 Posts
gravity storm is my go-to...my other guitarists uses a duncan custom hybrid...both great pickups...the storms are a touch smoother whereas the custom hybrid is a little more rough around the edges...they pair together in a mix extremely well...d.m.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I find the gravity storm is very organic and really gives good compression while still being dynamic. Really splits well and gives you a lot of room for expression from the pick hand. I felt like the breed and few others had less dynamic range and were pretty focused on a narrow range of sounds - but then again, I didn’t play with the pickup height all that much.

·
Registered
557 Posts
never tried the breeds...gravity storms are my go to pickups...funny thing is? i never intended on trying them but someone here on jemsite sold me my first set for 50 bucks because he hated them...now i have them in 4 of my ibanezes...d.m.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the Breed in a warmoth soloist build, but found it a little scooped in the mids for that guitar. I could tell it had good bones.
Scooped? Really? The breed bridge is heavy on the mids. Its funny, but you expect it to sound middier than it does.

i've yet to try the breed...it's been described to me by a friend as "similar to a gravity storm but a little less powerful"...dunno if that's true or not though...d.m.
Its more like a classic version of the air norton/tone zone to my ear.

The breeds are fast becoming my favorite humbuckers.

Its nice to be able to switch to the bridge position and not have to immediately reach for the tone knob to tweak it.

They split to inner coils really nicely too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep. Just my exp with the one guitar I tried it in. Was a nice piece of black korina. Surprised me too. Maybe they sent me a steves special lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts