Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  MehYam 
#1 ·
#8 · (Edited)
Phenomenal!

Everyone here simply HAS TO click on the Jam section, it's beyond belief. I can't believe the playing from the other entity, it was so poor, haha. I was expecting Shredmeister General.

A good utility in itself for listening how the various licks work over the different chord changes in the end of the Jam bit.

Thanks so much Pawel, even though I was just pressing keys, my dreams of being a virtuoso were largely fulfilled. ;)

So, the next question is: who is this Mika Tyyska dude, for he doth seriously shred.

#13 ·
This guy rocks to the core!

I can't believe I actually learnt some really cool licks off an animated creature while pressing some keys! COOLNESS!

Yeah those licks are definately Vai inspired. If you ask me they're probably off his DLR days, heard that trademark pentatonic chromatic increment lick off shy boy on there!

Thanks so much for the link!

#14 ·
The site is very cool, but his playing is average. Good picking, so so tapping and bad sweep picking.

Congratz to the guy for taking so much work in making an original and funny site. As it has been said, there is a lot of work put in the making of this site!

Cool link!

#17 ·
Ive been playing for over 15 years. I dont consider my self nothing out of the ordinary, but I can pick better, do that kind of tapping and more complex, and do some pretty extreme sweep picking (combined with tapping).

I think a lot of people that have been playing the guitar for more than 5 or 10 years will find that this is pretty common.

I never consider that other people would find this interesting so I never bothered to upload anything. I mean with monsters such as Shawn Lane, or Rusty Cooley (even though I dont like what he plays.... he is a beast) whats the point? Its not like you are going to blow anyones mind at all....

Im sure there are plenty of guys that can shred much better than me or this guy.... so I never meant to make a living out of music. I ve been a futures trader for the last 3,5 years (im an economist). But that may change in the near future (as soon as next month, when I quit the bank and return to argentina).

So, when I get back to argentina I ll probably make some sort of site, and if anyone find the things I upload usefull, then thats great. Or may be you ll think I suck, who knows....

I didnt mean to sound full of myself when I analysed his playing. Because I still think its great that he took the time to make such an original and funny site.... wich is more than I did yet anyway :)

#18 ·
RCB, I would love to hear you play. I'm sure many, MANY of us on Jemsite have heard an awful lot of shred from an awful lot of players, and a few things are worth reiterating, if not for you, then for someone else certainly...

Being a virtuoso in itself is impressive but not necessarily anything to get excited about. Some people focus on that technical ability and admittedly, that is exciting for them.

For others, musicality and emotive expression get us excited. The simplest music can be the catalyst for a life change or identity shift, or maybe just something to really, truly enjoy. Now, if one develops technical ability and uses that to express a solid musical statement, some of us like that a lot. We have developed ears that appreciate the beauty of good musicianship and can peek through the seemingly inpenetrable veil of bizarre scales, sixteenth notes played very fast and whammy bar acrobatics.

Each of us has an art within us, be it a mother, a trash collector, a musician. If one follows one's calling with integrity and honesty, that is a phenomenal achievement...seemingly difficult, but ultimately effortless, for there is only one path to take.

#20 ·
i enjoyed it. i had a lot of fun with the jam. i really liked the "boogie style" tapping with letter "Z". that one had a very cool feel. you gotta love the suedo-Jem_Strat in desert yellow - nice touch. i was entertained for an hour or two. i wish i could speed pick like that - the rest of it was just really fun craziness. thanks man!
TJ

#21 ·
guitvai1 said:
Wow, great site! Lot's of licks to learn and practice. By the way his playing was better than average. Even if it had of been Vai or Malmsteen playing the licks some joker would say they weren't that good.
If you cant tell the difference between this guys playing and Vai, there is no point in arguing. By the way, there are a ton guitar players that can play Yngwies songs, and there are surely quite a few that can play some or most of steve stuff.

What makes Steve special is his talent as a musician, and the fact that he acvhieved a master piece more than 15 years ago with PAW. And what makes yngwie so special was that at the moment Rising Force was released (more than 20 years ago) he was out of this earth.

There were a bulk of great guitar players that came after Malmsteen/Satch/Vai, that were amazing, but they could never reach their level of popular recognition mainly because they were either just late in the shred era.

Want some examples besides Shawn Lane and Rusty Cooley): Blues Saraceno, MC Alpine, Jason Becker, Brett Garsed (i think thats his name), Greg Howe, Steve Stevens, Vinnie Moore, Richie Kotzen, Michael Lee Firkins, Mattias Eklundh..... the list can go on forever. This guys barely make it in time to enjoy some succes (well, Bret Garsed and Mattias Eklundh are more recent) and some of them have way more chops and musical talent than malmsteen or satch. You may say that Jason Becker and Shawn Lane never really got the chance, but there were and are many more.

Some of them, to my personal tastes, just excell in the "virtuosity dept" like Rusty Cooley or Richie Kotzen, but the others are also very acomplished composers, or devolped a unique style of playing.

So when a guy has a pretty good pick technique, average tapping and legato chops, and poor sweep picking, his is just your average "good" guitar player. But as I said its great that he did what he did. I think the site is really cool and worth the while.

Im aware that its very hard for novice or someone on an intermediate level to be able to tell the difference between guys such as Greg Howe, Alan Holsworth and Shawn Lane but there is a difference. A lot of people would even find hard to notice how huge is the technical gap between Vai and Satch for example (and it is REALLY huge). It happened to everbody that plays the guitar.

And, Im sure there are a lot of people like myself that can really play at this guy level or better, and dont even care because they see nothing special about it.

May be if I had a unique style like Blues Saraceno, Greg Howe, Michael Lee Firkins, or Mattias Eklundh, or great composition skills I would really try to make something with music. But I have neither. I just can play pretty fast and pretty accurate, but not nearly as fast and accurate as Shawn Lane or Rusty Cooley.... and thats about it. So I bet there are a ton of people out there that can really play but feel in a similar way and the just enjoy themselves playing the guitar as a hobby.

As I said, Im quiting my job and moving back to argentina. I will try to make some sort of "Ibanez register" for argentina, and start a fusion band, I may eventually upload some clips or videos for the first time in my life (im turning 30 in less than a month). If someone find them interesting, thats cool and if you feel they are just average, or crap, then you ll be free to speak your mind.

Just my 2 cents

#24 ·
Did I say I can't tell the difference between this guy and Vai/Yngwie - NO! I've listened to both of them for a long time and am well aware of their contribution to modern guitar. My point was that no matter how good or who happened to play the licks there is always someone who thinks he's better or has to put a negative spin on it.

Who are you to say who's a novice?

Talk is cheap - instead of bumming about how great a player you are - lay it down and let's all have our say.

#25 ·
guitvai1 said:
Did I say I can't tell the difference between this guy and Vai/Yngwie - NO! I've listened to both of them for a long time and am well aware of their contribution to modern guitar. My point was that no matter how good or who happened to play the licks there is always someone who thinks he's better or has to put a negative spin on it.

Who are you to say who's a novice?

Talk is cheap - instead of bumming about how great a player you are - lay it down and let's all have our say.
I never said Im a great player at all. I can pick fast, play taps, sweeps, and sweeps with taps. IMHO this doesnt make you a great player. As I said, I beleive there are a lot of guys out there able to do this kind of thing.

I never tried to put a negative spin on it either, i think his site is very cool and has a lot of work. All I just said (along with praising the site) is that the playing is average.

And not for tha sake of proving anything, since I have nothing to prove, I will probably make a site that will include a multimedia section. Ill probably upload a couple of videos there in the hope that sombody finds them usefull. This will take a couple of months though. Right now Im making the arrangements to move from one contry to another, so you can imagine its not the best time to start something like this.

Finally, I not trying to tell who is a novice and who is not. I just stated a point about things that are pretty common when you start playing guitar. It takes time and practice and achieving certain level to be able to discern among extremely good players such as Holsworth. Howe and Lane. This statement wasnt directed personally at you, so you shouldnt take it that way.

#26 ·
Great couple of posts RCB, I appreciate your honesty, straightforwardness and laidback attitude.

You raise some fascinating points. I think Satch and Steve had success for reasons more than timing (I know you are not saying this is the only reason), in that their music is accessible to more than shredheads. I know two middle aged mothers who own Satriani albums. Steve's stuff can certainly be "weirder" and I have played Steve's music to people who normally run screaming from shredomatic players. They have loved it and even done air guitar, such is the power of the man. I have played all those other musician's music for non guitar freaks and I've had minor reactions to most of it. EVH, Satch, Vai seem to "do it" for the average person, in my experience.

And dude!! Brett Garsed's been around for bloody ages!!!! Now, there's a fine musician.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.