Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happen to actually know this guy, Thom Mathews, he's got a song called "Conquered and Swept Away" that blows my mind in some crazy @ss cosmic melodic way. Here is the link to his myspace please listen to the conqured song, it is FN killer. Let me know what you guys think, maybe pick up his solo album, he got a link up top too.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=123106989

Josh

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
FN killer???? :lol: The tone was terrible! Crazy @ss cosmic melodic??? More like running scales.... kinda along the lines of exercises. JMHO!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah, I'm afraid I wasn't a big fan either. I didn't like his tone and it was far too shreddy for me - and I like a good old fashioned shred tune once in a while.

·
Banned
2,459 Posts
I'm guessing recorded with direct. I'd prefer to hear that on a rippin amp with big ole tube tone. Not a bad player at all. But this is a great example of what separates us from the Satch and Petrucci's of the world. Alot of guys learn riffs, runs and scales. And can play them well. But to turn that into music is the great quest we all strive for. I struggle with it all the time. I hate when I sound like I'm playing riffs. I don't have an ear for melody at all, so when I'm constructing a solo, i have to work long and hard to get something I really like. The first hour is scales and riffs out of my bag of tricks. When that doesn't work, which is good, I venture off in to just noodling around and find that my mistakes often turn into something good, since it's NOT what I would have played. This guy is well practiced and plays his material well. I'm going to have to check out his other songs. You guys shouldn't be so hard on him. I know it's a temptation to judge us all against the great players, but for us, it's a hobby. Not a job. I can only imagine how much petter I'd be if it were my job.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

And I too agree with the others. However, I think it would sound great as an intro to a real song if he cut it down to about 20 to 30 seconds.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It was cool...but when I think of an inspiring instrumental, Lotus Feet by Steve Vai always comes to my mind, and that song came know where close to touching Lotus Feet.

But it was cool for being a shred instrumental, which I usually cant stand haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts