Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's Christmas time and I'm most likely getting an RG2620QM :D

Having played her in the store for hours, I know what this baby can do. The neck is so comfortable (ultra), the bridge is smooth etc. The only things bugging me are: the guitar has sat in the store for 3 years and it has had quite a few players so the frets have worn a bit and I'm not sure if the fingerboard is slightly discolored (lighter shade of "normal" rosewood) and the stock pickups sound muddy. This is where I need YOUR help...

I play prog rock (DT, Symphony X, Liquid Tension Experiment) and instrumental rock (Vai, Satch, Moore, Macalpine), so I think need mid-to-hot pickups. I've been thinking of AN/SS or Breeds. But I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks fellas :D

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would say Steve's Special/PAF Pro combo is good one and deffinently suits to your style since I play pretty same kind of music too.:) Air Norton is great neck pickup too, some people would say it suits for mahogany better than PAF Pro. I think PAF Pro is little bit tighter and brighter than Air Norton. Tone Zone for bridge is nice with mahogany.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
i personally love the satriani combo. fred in the bridge and paf pro in the neck.

I just got finished installing dual paf pros in an rg 570 . I can't plug it in to check out how it sounds because it is late but i'll report back tomorrow .

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I've never heard of a rosewood fingerboard going lighter from playing. I would say that on my Ibanez guitars it has gotten darker with age and playing. As far as the pickups go, I would go with either a Tone Zone/Air Norton combo or a Steve's Special/Air Norton combo depending on which pickup you like the best. Either way, it'll be more up to your amp in deciding how close you get to emulated the tone of the artists you mentioned.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I'm going to get an Air Norton for the neck position, but I still can't make up my mind with the bridge pup. Should I get the TZ or SS? I forgot to mention that the 2620QM has a mahogany body, but shredfreak already knew it (or a lucky guess :D)...

·
Registered
937 Posts
I've just bought a Steve Special and Air Norton so when i get them put in i'll tell you how class they sound :p

As for the fretboard - a little bit of lemonoil should sort that out i guess.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
i think you should get all white pickups, that would be drop dead gorgeous. much love on the AN/TZ rig. its my personal favorite combo, sounds excellent in mahogany, too. i use it in 5 mahogany guitars, including a 7. sounds so huge! does great with the petrucci clean setting as well. sparkles like crazy.

rich

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.