Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel that it allows for lower strings height and more overall precision.
But IMO it changes the feeling a bit and gives the strings some additional stiffness.

I only had the chance to compare J.Customs (with reinforcement) against Prestiges (without reinforcement). Same scale length and string gauges.

Please share your opinions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have tried both. I find that I like the neck reinforcement as I tend to put some pressure on the neck when I'm playing (and I don't know it until I hear the guitar detuning...) The stiffer neck is better, IMO. It also seems to give a bit more sustain, from my observations.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I got my 2010 JC RG in January the same year, the factory setup was spot on (don't know if that's the norm...). For the two years and five days since then, I haven't had to touch anything, except for changing strings of course. All my other guitars need a tweak of the truss rod now and then as the seasons go by.

That JC neck with titanium rods is friggin magical in every way - love it :D

DJ
--

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried both. I find that I like the neck reinforcement as I tend to put some pressure on the neck when I'm playing (and I don't know it until I hear the guitar detuning...) The stiffer neck is better, IMO. It also seems to give a bit more sustain, from my observations.
For me it's more of a stress upon the picking hand, and not so much the left hand.

Moreover, any guess as to why does Ibanez use KTS on 6- and 8-string Prestiges but not on 7s (but 7-string J.customs)??

·
Registered
9,320 Posts
I found when I owned the RG20th that came with them that I maybe adjusted the truss rod twice in over four years, and it was only slight adjustments too. Weather where I live goes from super hot in the summer to really cold, that's pretty good. My other guitars are usually adjused twice in a year.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have 2 J Customs with the titanium rods in them and they work and sound great! I also have a Jem 7V7 and it doesn't have these. Really, they all stay in tune nicely and both require some slight adjustment for the seasonal changes regardless of how the neck is built.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Feels stiffer, easier maintenance, and sounds better I think - all pros in my book.
I will say the late 90's Super Wizard is still my favorite though. I have a 2001 RG570 with one and aside for sentimental value the neck is a big reason it's still in the stable.
The modern KTS super wizard is a close second.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
But IMO it changes the feeling a bit and gives the strings some additional stiffness.

I only had the chance to compare J.Customs (with reinforcement) against Prestiges (without reinforcement). Same scale length and string gauges.

Please share your opinions.
Frankly, I don't see how this COULD be the case, unless you think the neck was flexing when you fret or bend notes. And if that's the case, then IMO that's a huge problem for stability and longevity. :lol:

I'd be more inclined to attribute any differences in feel to individual guitars' setups. My personal experience with a titanium-reinforced Genesis series RG550 is that it feels totally normal to me, nice and slinky, and it never even crossed my mind that the reinforcement could make the strings feel stiffer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The KTS rod should not change how stiff the strings feel in anyway. The KTS is just the rod inside of the neck. The maple neck (or 5 piece neck) on any guitar should be straight regardless of how much you bend strings. The neck doesn't bend, strings do. I mean, that's common knowledge for any guitarist, or at least I think.

The reasons why strings would feel different or not would depend on rather:
-the type of bridge system (and how many springs or lack thereof)
-string guage and type
-the action of the strings (dependent of the nut, the bridge, and the truss rod)

That being said, bending strings on guitars with Edge Zero trems feel a little stiffer than guitars with other ibanez trems I have used. That is supposedly because of the ZPS system of the Edge Zero bridge. i use the same 10-46 guage strings on all the guitars, always.

I've learned that the necks on the older Ibanez RGs from the late 80s/early 90s had neck wrapping issues on some models. But when we are referring to the neck wrapping, we are talking about wrapping that takes place over time, not in the instance when we bend strings. So, if we have a newer RG with the 5-piece neck + KTS, and its truss rod is setup properly, it should almost never bend, besides the occasional shift in milometers due to weather/humidity.

The KTS is suppsed to help the neck stay that way it is adjust consistently over time. It doesn't affect the action of the strings from the frets.

I hope im not talking out of my ass! Just sharing my understanding of it!

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
what Jeesan said ^ is correct folks. The titanium is useful for longer scale guitars obviously where keeping the neck "thin" is much more difficult... glen

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Yeah, I mean while you technically can bend a neck, it takes a LOT of force - push on the back of the headstock while holding the body, and you can make the guitar go a little flat. Again, if your neck has enough flex to it that it's flexing when you bend a note and there's a perceptible difference in the feel, I'd be way more worried about the neck blowing up on you than I would be about how it feels. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts