Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear lord, I have been thinking about this for a while now... But i've never played about with one.

i#ve also always had a soft spot for marshalls, and am thinking about a reliable power amp for rehearsing and possibly gigging.

Anyone own one? What are they like? Good/bad experiences?

I'm going to be using it with a triaxis.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
If you like the sound of EL34 powered Marshall's, then you won't go wrong at all with it's sound and versatality.

If you need those specifications, then it's worth trying one out. :)

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
You mean the 9100 right?

I've played about with a friend's 9200 a few times, and I'd go with the 9100 if I was going to buy one - the 9200 is vastly overpowered.
When I managed to really crank the 9200 it was superb; still had that Marshall sound. Too loud but it coped OK with lower volumes, it just lacked until it was really opened up.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Hi James

I have owned the 9005 which had EL34s in it as well as a 9100 and 9200. Personally the best sound I got out of all of them was the 50w 9100 with 5881 tubes in it.
I found the 5881 tubes to have a mid that cut through whereas the EL34s have the classic British scoop and more bottom end.
It really is like ice cream and what you like!
I hear TBR Rivera's are pretty good!

The best amp I have is my Mesa 2.90!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cerealk said:
Hi James

I have owned the 9005 which had EL34s in it as well as a 9100 and 9200. Personally the best sound I got out of all of them was the 50w 9100 with 5881 tubes in it.
I found the 5881 tubes to have a mid that cut through whereas the EL34s have the classic British scoop and more bottom end.
It really is like ice cream and what you like!
I hear TBR Rivera's are pretty good!

The best amp I have is my Mesa 2.90!
Cool :) I think that seeing as the rivera will be fixed soon that I may as well stick with that, practically the same power section as a marshall except I know it does sound good. I think after the loving TLC it's going to be getting it'll sparkle!

That and I stupidly just bought a g-major of **** :/

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I'm thinking of giving a G-Major a whirl, actually just need a rack for delay and reverb really, a decent reverb too. Have a Boss SX-700 and the reverbs are a bit too echoy instead of a subtle type that vai would use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.