Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a store yesterday and picked up a 2610 to play. I was playing it for a few minutes, then looked at the tag - let's just say, it's on clearance! Obviously, it's a left-over '07 but I looked it over, expecting it to be beat to hell, but it's not. It's like new, no dings, chips, gouges, etc. The neck felt really nice but I was on lunch, so I didn't have time to plug it in. What's the general opinion here on these? (the most obvious short-coming being the one-hum configuration).

·
Registered
787 Posts
Very nice guitar with very limited sounds(you noticed). Sort of a one trick pony unless you do like I did and add more pickups

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I like the RG2610E but if I had one I'd install a push-pull coil tap and change the pickup to a Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis Trembucker.

I don't think the single pickup format is a shortcoming. It was good enough for EVH, as well as anyone who ever played a Fender Esquire (which had a tone control and a tone switch too, but who ever used them?) or a Les Paul Special.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like the RG2610E but if I had one I'd install a push-pull coil tap and change the pickup to a Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis Trembucker.

I don't think the single pickup format is a shortcoming. It was good enough for EVH, as well as anyone who ever played a Fender Esquire (which had a tone control and a tone switch too, but who ever used them?) or a Les Paul Special.
I've found that bridge pickups generally sound great for rhythm...not so much for soloing.
Hence why we have neck pickups!
Not to mention, the bridge is natrually bright. So if theres a section that you want to be a little more warm, you can always switch to the neck pickup.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Ikebe Gakki do one-off ones that have Sustainer pickups added. And ones with sustainers come with either Dimarzio, EMG or SD pickups. If only ordering from Japan wasn't such a pain.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Actually, intonation checks fine on my peterson and korg rack tuners although I agree that it looks odd. I bought the body by itself as I loved the binding and it is a b*tch to do binding without a CNC machine on any body with a taper like the arm cut on these. I have had single HB guitars in the past(Steinberger and Kramer Baretta) and just need more versatility these days. I also only use a pick about 50% of the time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i own this guitar and I absolutely love the single bridge pick up. It makes the player have to rely on technique more so than ever for a WIDE array of sounds. I have an emg 85 installed and by adjusting the volume knob I can get a vast array of 'metal' tones fit for even this most anal tone freaks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I like the 2610 a lot.
Exept for the pro egde and the SD its great.( prefer the low pro edge)
Perfect for live cause in my book less is better!
i can jump and thrash around without having to worry about hitting a pickup selector and screw up.
+ the less theres on, the less that can go broke.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had one. Buy it. The longer you own it the more you'll love it. It sounds as good as it looks
I agree. Out of the 5 guitars I own (2 prestiges, 1 gibson sg, 1 neck thru bc rich bich and a nice schecter) the 2610 sounds literally twice as good as any of my other nice guitars.

I'm sure the full shred it comes with stock is excellent but I have an EMG 81 in the bridge and it's leaps and bounds the best 'metal tone' guitar I own. My SG with Jazz/JB pick-ups is the second best sounding guitar I own, but the 2610E still slays it in tone and playability.

I've been looking at Caparisons and ESP (non-LTD) and honestly? I wouldn't trade my 2610 for anything out there. The guitar is really that awesome.

Some things to expect if you buy this : you will be forever addicted to Ibanez guitars (I was a Gibson guy prior to buying one...), your guitar playing skills will improve dramatically; what needs to be understood about this guitar is that it will only shine in high-gain amp situations and is ideal for ANY genre of metal but outside of that it's severely limited.

I honestly don't care though as I'm a bonafide metal-head and I have my SG if I need to play some Jazz:D

Buy it. Now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have one as well, it's one of my main gits. I absolutely love it! I wish that I could find another one, or an '08 RG2610Z brand new in the case for sale.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
ive always wanted one of these. i think theyre pretty cool and me being a metal player, i wouldnt mind not having a neck pickup. i bet that guitar would look and sound beautiful with a seymour duncan blackout (painted white) with really thick strings tuned to drop A#. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm :twisted:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts