Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I've been working on my first jem-type custom. I originally intended to put a mirror front like a BRMR, with a black crackle finish on the back and sides of the body to give a bit of interest. But now that I've sprayed the crackle, I sorta dig the crackle on the front as well.

So I need your opinions as to whether I should leave as is, or go for BRMR mirror. If anyone knows jems its gotta be you people.

Pics below, the black finish looks quite dull as the topcoat was only sprayed today and theres no glossy clear on just yet.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
damo7v said:
that neck inlay is beautiful! (don't like the vine on the guard, though)

go with a mirror top, if only because it'll be a challenge that few have taken on.
Got to agree there, I'd go as far as to say that's the nicest vine I've ever laid eyes on.

Where did you get it? or did you make it?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep that inlay really sparkles. It actually has blue leds in there as well (thats what the wires are), and when plugged in it lights up like a christmas tree.

I got it custom made by a guy in the US, see www.christopherwoods.com, for more pics of this neck and some other very cool ones. I asked Chris to make the leaves and stem from "holoflek", which is like holographic paper, makes rainbow colours depending on angle of view. Though it is synthetic material, it is really beautiful.

Thanks for the comments so far guys, not convinced either way yet...

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
It looks good to me as well, and that vine is great looking. Did you say you've got LEDs behind the leaves of that vine? :lol: That must look insane when it's on! I'd love to see a pic of that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beyblade, the neck is similar in radius and feel to a jem777, very close to my jem777vbk in fact. Obviously I have not set it up and played it yet though, let you know then.

chef21, be patient, I think Chris is in the middle of expanding his workshop and pretty busy. I paid his standard price, I think about $350, don't remember now. Yes, thats not a bad deal!!!

jjemmer777, hahaha, yeh well I'll see how I feel when its done. I already have the feeling tho, that this one being my first custom and very different to others, will be my baby.

After letting the paint cure further overnight, some more fine cracks have developed on the front, its looking better again. Yep, convinced now that I'll leave as is, give the paint some more time to settle down, then start clear coat and assembly. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Hey there, I'm totally for leaving the body the way it is - by the time you get clearcoat like glass over the crackle she will look superb - and besides, you can walk into any Ibanez dealer in Australia, hand over (gulp) $6000 and eventually walk away with a BRMR! - How's Mittagong? I'm in Sydney, and we seem to have a fair share of rabid JEM fans here in Australia.

Cheers, David

P.S. - GREAT looking guitar - congratulations!

·
Registered
197 Posts
chris sells them necks on **** sometimes...... i bought one of his bodys.he can make you a ibanez body.....but mine has a floyd rose cutout......im not sure he makes for the edge......but i emailed him and same for me no reply

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers David. Yeh I guess I could pick up a BRMR for only AU$6000.... Except (ok flamers get ready for this, yes I'm about to say it) as beautiful and spectacular instrument as the BRMR is, where is the blue leds, or at least vines or pyramids? To me it is not a true Jem and not really a faithful reproduction of His Bad Horsie. Whats the story Ibanez, why the departure from exact reproductions of His guitars? I love the BRMR but I ain't paying AU$6000 for it, and hence my crazy journey with this project to build my own Bad Horsie Jem, only to go off course in a totally different (but satisfying) direction.

Hey jjemmer777, I still have paint left for at least 1, maybe two guitar bodies, and some RG570 project bodies laying around. I was intending to use up the paint and pass the bodies onto a good home for completion. If your interested let me know, you can have first dibs if you like.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.