Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be using this as a build thread for my '87 540PCO. Came in yesterday. Needless to say I've been playing her all night, even with the not-quite-there-yet action and not-so-smooth frets. I can really tell I'm gonna love this one...

!!!BaM!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
List of things to do:

-Dimarzio X2N bridge, HS2 middle, Fast Track 1 neck (probably all red)
-Ditch the stock wiring... New wiring will be 4 toggles (on/off bridge, on/off middle, on/off neck, series-parallel for bridge)
-Frets 12-up scalloped
-Cut in a Monkey Grip handle.... joking :mrgreen:
-rip everything apart and clean (especially the bridge)
-Install a colleted tremolo arm from a standard floyd
-paint back cavity flat black (thinking of doing it to all the other cavities as well, food for thought)

Thats all I can think of now

*Edit: I'm also stripping the finish off the back of the neck and re-finishing it in satin tung oil

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is that Dimarzio only makes their Rail single-coils in white, red, purple, green, pink and black. So there aren't many to choose from that would go well with this guitar. If they had blue I would probably go with that. I'm thinking red or white, black looks a little too plain for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that was mine, I wouldn't touch anything on it at all !

But each to their own :) keep us updated
I'm being careful not to do anything that degrades the value of the guitar. Then only thing is that someone looking to buy it in the future might not like scalloped frets... but this guitar is for me, not them :p

check out my Buddie's scallop job he did to his 540PMG:

wish it was a bigger picture, it really is an excellent job.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So here are our options:

(i know its an rg body... I cant find a power, lol)

don't get me wrong, I really like the look of the white pups, but I think that both black and white are a little too plain. I've always been taught to stay away from pure black and pure white whenever designing something.

With that being said, I'm really torn between red and yellow

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
How about orange pickups? You could paint the pickup ring orange too and it would look awesome!

If you're up for painting them of course. If not then yellow looks great!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts