Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to raise the high E string height SLIGHTLY, as the high e string is hitting the fretboard so much, I can't even get any notes out of it. As I understand it, the string height on a Edge tremolo cannot be adjusted individually?

With some research on the net, I figured I need to loosen the "stud bolts", but in order to do that, it seems I first need to loosen the "stud lock", but seeing a drawing, it seems like it is the same thing, I am confused. Are the "stud locks" "inside" the stud bolts, so to speak?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Yes the stud locks are inside the stud bolts, it's a smaller allen head bolt that screws through the bottom of the trem post... It's a 1.5mm allen wrench...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
From the picture you linked to, my bridge seems pulled too much back.

I tried to use some of the allen keys that followed with the guitar, but they do not seem to fit the stud lock and the stud bolts, very confused.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy who sold it said it was new, but was used as a demo/floor model, maybe the guy included the wrong allen key set. This is the Genesis collection RG550, but I got the prestige allen key set.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The guy who sold it said it was new, but was used as a demo/floor model, maybe the guy included the wrong allen key set. This is the Genesis collection RG550, but I got the prestige allen key set.
To set your trem at the correct angle the little rectangle you see at the side of the trem should be parallel to the body...

Edit: There should be more tools on the opposite side as well, one should be at a right angle and should loosen the large trems studs, the one with the smallest head will loosen the stud insert...

If it's missing pieces, you can go to the hardware store and buy a small metric set of allen wrenches for $10... they aren't anything Ibanez specific...

·
Registered
125 Posts
From the picture you linked to, my bridge seems pulled too much back.

I tried to use some of the allen keys that followed with the guitar, but they do not seem to fit the stud lock and the stud bolts, very confused.
What you need to do is to loosen the springs on the back of the guitar. There's, as mentioned, a black bar on the side of the trem. It should be parallel with the body when the bridge is neutral.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just want to make sure you know to loosen the tension on the Edge before you adjust the height. Turning the posts with the trem under tension is not good for the knife edges.
The easiest way to do this is by taking the springs off the trem first then adjusting.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, it's not on the Prestige tool. The one you need is about the size of a piece of thin spaghetti.
Ok thanks guys, embarrassing, I now looked again, and there ARE 2 other allen keys also included, but not on the prestige tool, one very small, and one bigger, I hope they will fit the bridge!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just want to make sure you know to loosen the tension on the Edge before you adjust the height. Turning the posts with the trem under tension is not good for the knife edges.
The easiest way to do this is by taking the springs off the trem first then adjusting.
Ok, thanks for info.

If removing all the springs in the back, it means the bridge will fall forward by the tension of the strings?

Do I need to loosen the strings as well? Then I need to tune it up every time for checking the string height?

·
Registered
531 Posts
yzerman,

Take a look at Rich's ibanezrules.com website. in his tech section he details the setup on the guitar.

As far as taking the tension off or leaving it on during action, it seems to be of two different schools of thought. Some recommend taking the bridge off while the strings are attached (Rich describes how to do it), some, including Rich says there's no effect
"Yes, you can adjust the studs with the strings at full pitch without fear of damaging the knife edges or the studs."
I went with Rich's advice and didnot take the bridge off, but again action adjustment I needed was less than a quarter of a turn.

This is Rich's tech/setup page. I would read it and also i'd check his used guitar primer/setup section at the bottom of that page as well. It is a great resource.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts