Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, the underside of the original edge tremolo on my Genesis RG550 is touching on the body (in between the pivot studs of the tremolo) albeit very slightly, it is enough to disrupt smooth tremolo operation or maybe uneven wear on the knife edges.

I believe I am not the only one since my guitar is good as new and seldom used. It's just manufactured too close to the tremolo body.

This problem can be solved by just removing some wood off of the body where it is directly below the tremolo in between the tremolo studs.

My question is, what would you guys normally do to solve this problem? Would it decrease the overall value of my guitar of I were to remove some materials off from the body below the tremolo?

·
Vendor
26,380 Posts
Are you saying your trem is too low and touching underneath it, and the guitar needs a fat neck shim? Which would make sense, they tend to pull 25 year old cnc files when they do these copies and just change the code of what changed [not add in the angle routed into a modern pocket. The JEM777's they did, the UV77's they didn't] these should use the same extended plate joint neck pocket file as the RG770RE's, too long ago to remember if/how much neck shim they needed, but I would assume they need them if your trem is touching the wood underneath it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are you saying your trem is too low and touching underneath it, and the guitar needs a fat neck shim? Which would make sense, they tend to pull 25 year old cnc files when they do these copies and just change the code of what changed [not add in the angle routed into a modern pocket. The JEM777's they did, the UV77's they didn't] these should use the same extended plate joint neck pocket file as the RG770RE's, too long ago to remember if/how much neck shim they needed, but I would assume they need them if your trem is touching the wood underneath it.
Hi Rich, you mean to say my best bet would be to shim the neck? If yes, where can I get a neck shim from and how would i know at what angle?

Yes my trem is touching the wood underneath it. I can't get the action low enough according to Ibanez specs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts