Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just running over my new/old '88 FP. My wife won;t allow me to have it until my bday next week :lol:

Planning the set up, and one thing I've noticed is that the string spacing is wider in comparison to my egen8. This is fine for playing, but the top e string slips off the board pretty easy. Looking at it with my eyes (not precisely measured) the neck is well aligned, and the gap from string to the edge of the board is the same for top and bottom e strings.

So, my question is, is it possible to alter the spacing by putting on a different nut, or is there any other things I can check/alter. I'll be taking it to luthier to get a couple of body chips filled in so i'll ask his opinion also.

Thanks guys, and pics next week...it's killing me :p:lol:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
nothing AFAIK to change the string spacing. not sure how wide the egen neck is did you compare ?
The neck on a guitar from 88 will probably (Not certain, but reasonably sure), be a 56mm neck. Modern ibanez necks are 58mm at the heel. That would account for the difference.

Unfortunately theres no easy way round it. The neck can't be made wider or you'd have to sand the pocket bigger. The string spacing can't be made narrower at the nut because that wouldn't have any real effect on the problem, and replacing the bridge isn't possible because no trems will retrofit that guitar without also being wide on the string spacing, since the bridge is F spaced and so are all retrofits.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
You should check the alignment of the neck in the neck pocket, the trem and the nut. Any of those might be off. The knife edge design should fix the bridge in a certain place, but the knife edges may be worn. You could try cleaning those up.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
You should check the alignment of the neck in the neck pocket, the trem and the nut. Any of those might be off. The knife edge design should fix the bridge in a certain place, but the knife edges may be worn. You could try cleaning those up.
He said the distance between string and fretboard edge at each side is the same. That would indicate alignment isn't the problem.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
checked my floral an there is a good 2mm between high e and fretboard end at last 2 frets . lots of room. little less on low e.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
He said the distance between string and fretboard edge at each side is the same. That would indicate alignment isn't the problem.
My post was more meant as a general "what do do" in that situation. He didn't say which end of the fretboard he was having the issue at. I will also say that there is a small amount of variability in where the string sits in the saddles. I always try to be careful and lock the strings down centered. He could fudge the strings inward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts