Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I am looking for a good combination of pickups for my RG3120 Prestige.
It has a mahagoni body with a maple top.
The sound should be smooth, warm, full, clear with lots of harmonics.
I like the Vai and Gilbert sounds.

I have thought of the Paf Pro in the neck (the older RG3120 had it) and the Breed in the bridge position

or

The Breed Neck + the Evo2 at the bridge.
I don't know if the Evo2 works well with mahagoni wood or perhaps the Breed+mahagoni gives too much mids and muddy sounds?

Thanks for comments and recommendations!

Marko

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have an RG3120 with the PafPro in the neck and a Breed bridge model, it's perfectly balanced. The Breed acts like a louder and less edgy PafPro, in that guitar anyway. If you're used to TheToneZone that is stock in those things, the Breed will take the chunky tendencies away and lean toward a smoother well balanced sound. It's a non aggressive vibe that's pretty loud. Also, not muddy at all.

Mike

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I think a PAF Pro (neck) and Breed (bridge) would be a good combo on that guitar. The PAF Pro is plenty clean enough for the neck and the breed will beef up the bridge just enough so that I imagine the balance would be near ideal.

Or you could try Evolution neck and bridge. Someone here tried it in a Les Paul and said he thought it was going to be muddy but it rocked. I would like to hear Evos in a LP now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've just heard that a mahagony-body guitar produces more mids.
Can one say that it is recommended to use a pickup that doesn't boost the mids for not getting a muddy sound?
In particular the standard bridge PU of the 3120 is the ToneZone, which has lots of mids...
Wouldn't it be better to use a Steve's Special, Evolution, Evo2 or something like that?

- confused -

Marko

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.