Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have an RGT42FX with an X2N in the bridge and I love it. I am looking to replace the stock Infinity 1 that's in the neck position though. I have read that the PAF Pro is a very good pickup for the neck position, and have read its specs and they seem pleasing. From what i've read the PAF Pro has what i'm looking for, which is a good shredding sound(I love how the neck position sounds for shred), and also good for all other things a neck pickup should be good for like chords,rhythm playing etc.I'm not sure however if the PAF Pro will mix well with the X2N. They both have significantly different output ratings, with the X2N at 510 Mv, and the PAF Pro at 300 - i'm not sure if that is a problem neccacerily. Still, I have heard the PAF Pro is awesome and was impressed hearing it myself watching players like Paul Gilbert use it, so I really hope i'll be able to use it in conjunction with the X2N. I just want some more opinions please. My guitar has a 5 way switch.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
First of, just about any pickup is good in the neck position. It all depends on the sound you're going for, your amp, and your tone (the tone that's inherent in your touch and pick attack).

That being said, some folks love the PAF Pro in the neck and some don't. I'm a big fan of Paul Gilbert (I've got 2 PGM301s) but I don't like PAF Pros in any position. They don't "feel" right to me but that's just me which doesn't matter to you because you're going to be the one playing the guitar.

As far as volume balancing goes, that only really matters if your playing clean and even then, it's subjective. Some folks like a volume drop when switching from neck to bridge and some don't. When you're playing with a moderate amount of distortion, the natural compression (of distortion) evens things out a bit.

Personally, I prefer a brighter neck pickup (when compared to the bridge) because it gives a more bubbly, articulated tone (think Yngwie and some of Paul Gilbert's stuff). If I was using an X2N in the bridge position, I would get a Super 2 for the neck. It's output (425 millivolts, no Mhz ;) ) matches the X2N better the PAF Pro and it's brighter so it won't get muddy. It will balance better (volume-wise) with the X2N when it's split with the 5 way switch in your guitar.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts