Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds crazy to be interested in changing the original Breed pickup in my 7dbk, but I have a PAF Pro 151 sitting around and I'm thinking about swapping it for the bridge pickup in my Jem...... am I crazy or what? I use four different Ibanez guitars in my live rig, and my Jem is a little too bright & harsh than my other ibanez guitars. My other Ibanez guitars seem to fit my amp rig better - they all have original pickups in them (540s, PGM, RGA121), and the Jem plays great, but sounds a little too bright - maybe because the Breed is a higher output pickup, as opposed to the other original medium output pickups in my other Ibanez guitars? Just wondering what you guys will think? Thanks.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Breed is the least bright pickup DiMarzio has.
It is also among the least harsh pickups DiMarzio make.
You can’t really find any less bright, less harsh pickup from any brand.

If you think your JEM sounds bright and harsh, then the problem is somewhere ells then the pickups, most likely the guitar itself.
I also have a 7DBK and it is as far from bright you can get (it’s not muddy or very dark, but the Breeds are very much cut in the treble).

A pickup with less output will, by most people, be interpreted as brighter.
High output cuts the heights and are more rolled of in the treble the low output pickups.
Just think if the comparison between singlecoils and a normal humbucker.

But higher output can defiantly sound harsher then low, but normally not.

PAF Pro will defiantly sound way brighter then Breed, and you will most likely think that it is harsher too. Putting the Breed neck in the bridge won’t be better either.
The treble response are about the same as the bridge version (but probably heard as brighter since it has less output), but you will lose midrange and bas.

Maybe it is the midrange in the pickup that you don’t like and not really the brightness?

/Magnus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts