Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was originally going to make a post looking for recommendations on a new amp, but I read the sticky and got some good info. So before I throw out my amp let's see if anyone has any thoughts. Back in the good old days before SS amps I had my Music Man 100W head through a custom made 4-12" and 1-15" cab. Awesome sound. Then the family came and the amps went bye bye. I have been back to live playing for the last 4 years now. Because I was poor I picked up a Line 6 combo, which was fun, but for a long time tube guy, it was just too harsh for me and I really wanted the organic feel of tubes. Also the Line 6 foot pedal would on too many occasions crap out in the middle of the set! Not good when you're getting paid!!! Easier to deal with if it's a freebie.
I got rid of it and moved to a Peavey Vypyr 60W combo. Not a bad amp it has some of the tube qualities and SS modeling which has some benefits. I got the larger Sanpera II pedal which took some getting used to and tweaking to get the wah wah and volume to work properly. However after last nights gig I am totally fed up! During sound check the Sanpera crapped out no less that 6 times. I have to unplug it from both the amp and the pedal to reset. At least the Line 6 being SS I could flip it off and on almost instantaneously to reset it. Hybrid amp, not as easy. 2 times during the gig the amp fed back for about 2-3 seconds very loudly and then re-set itself to a different setting. We thought it was the PA and everyone looked and said WTF?!? I finally realized it had to be the amp since it recycled.

About 6 songs to the end it crapped out again. Since it was so close to the end of the gig and the set up of the amp allowed me to change the settings by hand I just kept it unplugged. I can't do this anymore! I don't want to smash it (actually I do) or throw it out the window but I am very close!
Anyone have experience with this or thoughts on what I might do before I finally give the axe to SS permanantly!!! Thanks!

A.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Sorry to hear this, our rhythm guitarist got one of the Peavey Vypyr amps, the 100w solid state one with Sanpera II and he had what sounds like the same problem. I updated the firmware for him over midi as the Peavey forum recommended it (you could look into that, it was a long time ago when I tried, they may have fixed things?) but I don't know if that worked as he's gone back to his old amp because that's reliable!
Check the forum, I seem to remember there was advice including always switch on with the input jack disconnected (!) aparrently that helps...
Jim

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
We had the feedback problem early on with out rhythm guitarists Vypyr tube 60, but not the Sanpera problem, that sounds like an intermittent solder joint. (it still feeds back sometimes on loud high gain settings, pretty normal). I'm not exactly sure why, even with the noise gate clamping, it just has to do with how the amp makes gain (a whole heap of it!) and that ours is a combo. Eventually ours burned out a couple of diodes on the board and we got it fixed under warranty. Sounded pretty much the same afterwards, but I swapped in some Ruby 6L6's and it took some of the edge off. IMHO, alot of it is that peavey speaker. It's a great sounding speaker, but just loves to feedback right at in the annoying guitar frequency range. Try running it to an external cab and see if it doesn't alleviate some of the issue. As for the footswitch issue, I would take it to a tech, ours has always worked perfectly until the MIDI cable crapped out. Maybe the cable is bad or a solder connection is bad on the footswitch or the amp. Either way if it's in warranty still get it checked out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts