Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt warm up and did too many exercises in the high frets 24 running down and started feeling pain on top of hand, right above the wrist area and i stopped, i still feel it sore

but also ive been doing pushups everyday and i think this contributed to this as that position can cause wrist issues and worse carpa tunnel?

i dont think i have carpal tunnel but lately been doing too many stretches exercises especially that Megadeth tornado of souls solo

im gonna take a one or 2 day break from playing

how can i prevent this from happening again?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
See a Doctor. I have carpAl tunnel in my right wrist and it makes my thumb and index’s and middle fingers numb and tingly. There are braces you can wear at night, that keep you from turning your wrists. There is also other things they can do without having to have surgery. In the mean time, rest it. But see a doc.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had dull pain like this in the past that would go away after 1 hour but now is lasting longer i think the pushups everyday after not doing any of that for years made me prone to this but i also didnt warm yesterday and went straight to speed exercise up the fretboard and stretches im gon take a week off just heal good and then take it slow

·
Registered
571 Posts
i had dull pain like this in the past that would go away after 1 hour but now is lasting longer i think the pushups everyday after not doing any of that for years made me prone to this but i also didnt warm yesterday and went straight to speed exercise up the fretboard and stretches im gon take a week off just heal good and then take it slow
Do you warm up and stretch your wrists out before doing the push ups?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Inflammation from repetitive use combined with new stress from the exercise, rest and give your body a chance to catch up. Warming up and stretching is important in all exercise too, particularly as you get older. Gentle stretching though, the whole point is to slowly work your way into so that you don't end up in snap city.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i read is not good to do stretches before playing
I don't do stretches before playing guitar. But i do warm up with simpler things first rather than jump straight into quick stuff.

I do a lot of push ups as part of trying to stay in shape whilst working long hours from home. Slowly stretching your wrists before exercising and doing fewer push ups slower with better form helped it not hurt my wrists.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I didnt warm up and did too many exercises in the high frets 24 running down and started feeling pain on top of hand, right above the wrist area and i stopped, i still feel it sore

but also ive been doing pushups everyday and i think this contributed to this as that position can cause wrist issues and worse carpa tunnel?

i dont think i have carpal tunnel but lately been doing too many stretches exercises especially that Megadeth tornado of souls solo

im gonna take a one or 2 day break from playing

how can i prevent this from happening again?
This might sound weird, but I used to get muscle cramps and found out I was low in Magnesium, which really helped, and is incredibly important for so many things. Also, if you have carpal tunnel, Vitamin B6 is great. All of the previous replies had very good suggestions, too.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I don't do stretches before playing guitar. But i do warm up with simpler things first rather than jump straight into quick stuff.

I do a lot of push ups as part of trying to stay in shape whilst working long hours from home. Slowly stretching your wrists before exercising and doing fewer push ups slower with better form helped it not hurt my wrists.
I think some gentle stretching before and after playing helps... Seems to for me anyway. Pushups hurt my wrists, but my daughter gave me some "perfect pushup" rotataing handle things that lessen the stress on my wrists. Makes pushups a lot more comfortable... Relatively inexpensive as well. Perfect Pushup

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
is definitely because of pushups cause i even feel it in my right hand tho very faintly and not as much as the left, playing guitar without warming up just made it worse for the left but the fact that my right hand has that same dull pain tho way lower than the left it cant be from playing guitar as i always hold the pick very gently and never had issues with my right hand ever

i hadnt done pushups in years and i downloaded this pushup app, so iwas doing them everyday trying to increase the numbers and i think that caused inflammation or strain and then on the same day i did push ups i practiced a lot exercises up the fretboard with stretching and that effed me up but i dont want to make it worse so im trying to avoid using my left hand as much as possible and i may have to take a longer break maybe 2 or 3 weeks just in case

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is neither from push-ups nor carpal tunnel.

It is from over use and tensing up. I get it too in the same place on my left hand when I go over board.

A wrist bent forward causes it when you do a bunch of excercises that move your fingers alot, like chromatic excercises. It's the pulling off or lifting of the fingers that does it
Mine happens when I tense up instead of trying to relax.

Basically, thumb on the back of the neck and wrist bent forward stretches the tendons between the forearm muscles and fingers. The natural choke point is the wrist area. They get inflamed.

Mine got better after a few days rest. It kills me to not play, but watcha gonna do?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If any of you guys are experiencing pain, why don’t you see a doc about it? One who specializes in hand/wrist? I mean, don’t rely on strangers on a guitar forum for medical advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts