Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all 20 years on its the 20th aniversarry of that famous guitar album passion and warfare by the guitar god steve vai.
it had an amazingly powerfull influence on my music and life.
the album cover alone is amazing and kinda haunts me and relates to my deeper thoughts on life and beyond.

So say thanks to steve vai for changing my life as i somtimes think if i hadnt taken up guitar and hadnt dicovered his music i wouldnt have had drive to practice and life may have been more boring. and i wouldnt be working as a guitar teacher.
here is my cover of for the love of god in tribute. not a carbon copy. a celebration in thanks heres what i knocked out today. peace and love and whatever lol
rob
www.myspace.com/robhayesrockguitar :p

·
Registered
328 Posts
Like most of the Vai or Paul Gilbert stuff, P&W pretty much made me want to give up playing. Of course, we all can't be Vai or Gilbert, so life goes on... but it was pretty awe inspiring record. I had it playing in my car for about a year of high school, every day.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i like about the guitar you can only be you and the secret is to focus on the good parts of your playing and work on them. one thing i like about vais playing is the idea of playing a mode over a chord to really bring out the flavour of the mode. rather than just noodleing in a key over a collection of harmonised chords

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have this cd as well as a few of his other solo albums. I also think it is one of the best instrumental albums ever...... Sometimes, for me, his use of effects is a bit too much over the top, but that is just me. My favorite Steve Vai is still the DLR band stuff, though. I guess I'm just more into songs with vocals, and to hear his wild playing and groovin' riffs within a catchy, sing a long, rockin' tune----that's what I like best.

·
Registered
248 Posts
20 years on i'm still playing it. It's such a great, inspiring album full of new and experimental guitar ideas. I haven't heard an album to match it and that must say something.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
To quote a great Queensryche song "it hit me like a 2 ton heavy thing" ;o) P & W was an amazing album and it had a profound effect on me...God only knows how may times I've listened to For the Love of God...

·
Super Moderator
7,385 Posts
I think it's the most "complete" guitar album ever, some sort of instrumental concept album that even some non-guitarists "got". It kind of made excessive guitar in its own right almost cool. I also think that this album has cost me more money than any other ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
It took them realms of guitar playing to a new level for me! Which unfortunately is a lot more than I can say for Flexible.

To quote Steve Vai “Passion and Warfare is an adventure in metaphysics”

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i love flexable too, but passion and warfare changed my life. just the artwork is amazing my teacher told me it has a secret message in it, i found some when you listen to the music read the booklet with it some of the guitar is words.
but the cover is supposed to have a sectret in it never found it i got ideas but not certain. which i could read the runes in the pillars each side of him

·
Registered
841 Posts
Its concept, songwritting, performing and production were revolutionary. Vai´s musicality is uncompassed nowadays.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts