Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The Steve's Special is basically the 6 string version of the Blaze, so if you want that tone in your 6-banger, there you go.

Evos didn't come out until the early 90s, the same time as the VWH.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
mi2tom said:
Oh my I thought he was already using the Evos at that time .... :wink: :mrgreen: When does steve started to use the evo???
dimarzio has the evos listed as coming out in 93 . I'd imagin that steve played with the evolution design a bit before hand so i'd guess he was working with the evo prototype in 92

if i am right on my dates P&W was released in 1997.

So he actually probably did use evos . I thought P&W came out earlier and the evos come out later but i didn't check . :D till now

·
Registered
260 Posts
On the topic of PAF pro's, does PAF pro in the bridge position sound different to it in the neck? I mean there's alot of guitars with dual PAF pro's but if it's the same pickup how does it sound different? Or is there another reason they have PAF's in both position that I'm missing?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Cozi101 said:
On the topic of PAF pro's, does PAF pro in the bridge position sound different to it in the neck? I mean there's alot of guitars with dual PAF pro's but if it's the same pickup how does it sound different? Or is there another reason they have PAF's in both position that I'm missing?
It does. Basically the neck is the rythm pickup and the bridge is the lead. The neck is warmer, and the bridge is hotter. Vai uses both positions nearly all the time in between his songs.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Its actually pretty easy to explain why the same pups sound different en bridge and neck position:

Theres less string tension above the neck pup than the bridge pup. Just take your guitar and strike a string above the neck pup than do the same thing just under the bridge. You will notice that the sound at the neck is more warmer and the sound at the bridge is more focussed and jumps out more. Well i cant really describe it: my english isnt very good:p just try it!

Btw. paw is released in 1990.

Edit: forgot to tell you to try it without an amp;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Maybe because the guitar has a warmer pickup in the neck, like most guitars have. The real test would be to do it when there is the same pickup in both positions. Still I don't see how a little string tension will change your tone so much.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.