Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a guitar builder I am finding that guitar players are hot for graphics more so then killer wood. Presonally I like both but as for my business, I go where the market demands are. And that means almost all my new orders are now for graphics. I have developed this method of applying computer graphics to my paintjobs. This P&W graphic is one of the first ones I have done, but its very exciting because anything is possible. Check it out and let me know what you think. And by the way, this one doesn't have an owner yet so let me know if your interested.
--
More photos here: http://homepage.mac.com/bigvelvetdog/gallery/guitars/PW/PW.html

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey, I sent you an email a few days ago if you get a chance to read it. Not in regards to this guitar but a project I'm considering.

P.S. If that was a lefty, I'd be very tempted.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Where's the pots and the selector ?

Cool looking guitar though and using computer graphics will mean you can make anything you can dream !

Ben

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think it would look better with the pyramid inlay, just to keep the graphics flowing with the pyramid below the bridge. Both vine and pyramid would look cool, but I think the vine should be colored. Green would look sweet I think.

Great job man!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I defnitely agree with all the suggestions on inlay and colored pickups etc... This one was pretty much a test made of parts that I have available. And its not finished yet (no pots or switch). it also needs paint on the back and sides. Thanks Whey for posting my other pic. It does look cool with the Vine inlay. Actually those are 2 different bodies. The first one has no Monkey grip and the second does. Eggy, I know what you mean. There are infinate possibilities on what I can do with this process.

Oh and a million dollars would be sweet but I'll consider any offers before it goes up for auction ;-)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
That sounds similar to what DW Drums showed at a clinic once. They have a printer that can take the top veneer of a drum and print anything onto it. The demo unit they had was incredible looking. And picture you want, it's on the drums. Just like photo paper.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I agree that it need pyramid inlays.... vine has it's place and it's not w/the passion and warfare cover. Pyramids stay with the theme.

·
Registered
264 Posts
littlegreenman said:
You guys do know that this is something I've been able to do at LGM Guitars for years now right ;)
Yeah but it's getting so difficult to find a custom shop actually accepting work that we have to look where we can. I'm not meaning to sound like an arse saying that, it's great for you guys, but it's at a point right now where we have to explore our options. I've emailed 6 custom and semi-custom shops in the past month or so and you and Warmoth are the only two I even got a reply from (Thanks, by the way!) and yours was to let me know that it would be quite a while before you could accept the work. Again, I'm really glad you guys are doing so well... but in the meantime we gotta look around.

P.S. If that P&W was a lefty with pyramids it might have convinced me to change my mind about what I was planning to do. I like it... I like it alot. If I was going to make any suggestion on it, it would be you need access to a wide format printer to eliminate that visible seam down the middle of the graphic. That's a small matter though.

P.P.S. Add Christopherwoods (BVD) to that list of those who got back to me. Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
As I understand you can put any picture on a guitar? Why not take pictures from the almighty most beautifull swirl ever and put it on it? Much cheaper and the result is known beforehand? OK not as magical as the original but still possible.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Jemke, I am doing this with the swirls. The worst part about it is that the swirls don't flow through the cavity routings and monkey grip or the sides of the guitar. Bummer! On the other hand, I can create an image in photoshop and get exactly what I want on screen before any expense is incurred in materials. I am doing this for a customer now and he has seen and selected from many patterns that I created. No guess work and no disappointment. Check it out at www.christopherwoods.com and look for GraFX

1 - 20 of 25 Posts