Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

So, i want to buy myself a mean metal machine, i was thinking in somekind of ESP , maybe a viper ltd (any suggestions?) , nothing too fancy, because it wont be my main ,versatile guitar so i dont want too spend a lot of money on it. However, good pickups make a huge difference on any guitar (Do i really have to say this at jemsite ??? no, sorry), thats where i want to spend my money wisely. I want a real tight, "sustainy" sound, for real death metal. Im not totally convinced on the EMG's and i was wondering, there are any great passive pickups for death metal???????

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
EMG HZ? Alexi Laiho uses them.

Wait! Forget what I said, I wasn't serious! :lol:

There are a lot available. Have you considered Dimarzio's D-Sonic? It's more of a nu-metal pickup, but you should check it out. Also I would suggest to try out the X2N.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kamikaze_1 thanks a lot for the suggestions!

I checked out de D-Sonic clip, yeah, itrs really a more of a nu metal pickup, not really what im looking for, i want a little more bite and tightness.

Couldnt find clips of the x2n

Thanks again man!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Duncan Invader's just remind me of that guitarist from Blink 182 (cause he used them and sort of popularised them with little kiddies).

I'd also suggest the Dimebucker and Dimarzio X2N. Those rail humbuckers are probably best for what you're looking for.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Chud said:
Duncan Invader's just remind me of that guitarist from Blink 182 (cause he used them and sort of popularised them with little kiddies).

I'd also suggest the Dimebucker and Dimarzio X2N. Those rail humbuckers are probably best for what you're looking for.
Dimebucker is good choice. I love it and it's really good pickup for heavy and metal. Although I've heard many people saying that Bill Lawrence L-500 is alot better pickup than Dimebucker.

·
Registered
937 Posts
shredfreak said:
Dimebucker is good choice. I love it and it's really good pickup for heavy and metal. Although I've heard many people saying that Bill Lawrence L-500 is alot better pickup than Dimebucker.
Yeah, but L-500's are sort of hard to get hold of from what i've heard.

If Metallica used the Invaders then fair enough :p I thought they always used EMG 81's. I just seem to think of Blink182 whenever i see Invader pickups (as they were on Tom Delonge's signature Fender Strat). Dunno why, just do :p

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
For death metal I would REALLY go with the EMG 81 for the bridge simply because I've not found a better bridge pickup for metal. In the passive realm, I would probably go with a Dimarzio Tone Zone or a Duncan JB.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys!

Well this is a hard toppic, there are great pickups out there, lots of choices, no doubt.
I thought that if you guys maybe hear a little clip of what im looking for (at least aproximate) this will be a little easier. Check out, www.disgorge.us ,download clips of "paralels of inf..." (The only two mp3 clips that are available actually) and let me know which is your opinnion about a pickup that could sound similar to that tone.

I heard that the bareknuckles are THE passive metal pickups, any opinnions on this brand, experiences?

Thanks!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yeah, there's massive rave reviews about Barenuckle pickups and everyone seems to big them up alot but i've never actually heard them :p

Try and get hold of a barenuckle pickup'd guitar and see what it's like i guess

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shredcows said:
Looking for an X2N clip?

Here! X2N Showcase

Actually, I posted this on Jemsite already,... its somewhere here, a review on the X2N
Hey Shredcows, really nice clip, thanks!

Sounds good for leading, but im not so sure about the lower notes (i assume you use the x2n on both guitars) ,not what im looking for really, sounds a bit nasal.
Again, thanks for your reply and the cool clip!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RSVampire said:
I just posted a clip of the Fred doing some metal and stuff in the Multimedia section of the forum:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42439
That FRED sounds awesome ,really really cool tone! Thanks for sharing. But not really what im looking for (yeah i know, im a pain in the ass) .

Anyone heard the clips at www.disgorge.us ? any opinnions, suggestions?

Thanks for all the replys guys!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.