Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is almost as if he saw she can shred like Joe Satriani/Gilbert and suddenly she has no melody or feel. I found it patronizing and condescending. She is a prodigy that must be protected at all cost

·
Vendor
26,521 Posts
She's like 1000 10 year old Chinese girls that can play the lead violin concerto's, but have no feel.
Satriani's strength has always been melody and feel. Becks strength has always been melody and feel. You can go thru the list of great guitar players from Vaughn to Yngwie and all of them will have that in common.
She has no melody or feel, maybe it's the best advice she's been given yet, unless she just wants to be a shredder without either. More power to her then.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's like 1000 10 year old Chinese girls that can play the lead violin concerto's, but have no feel.
Satriani's strength has always been melody and feel. Becks strength has always been melody and feel. You can go thru the list of great guitar players from Vaughn to Yngwie and all of them will have that in common.
She has no melody or feel, maybe it's the best advice she's been given yet, unless she just wants to be a shredder without either. More power to her then.
She is still too young, melody and feel come with maturity, life experiences, and struggles. She is at that age where she is making covers, polishing her technique and starting to make her own music. I doubt she'll be stuck in this shred phase forever. I doubt Satriani was melodic at 13 years of age

Here is a video of her playing one of her songs, this is melodic imo

·
Vendor
26,521 Posts
She's 16, if she doesn't have melody and feel yet it's because she hasn't worked on it playing Gilbert covers since she was 8.

21, melody and feel, waiting to see what his original stuff comes out like insteadof these takes on the classics.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
She is still too young, melody and feel come with maturity, life experiences, and struggles. She is at that age where she is making covers, polishing her technique and starting to make her own music. I doubt she'll be stuck in this shred phase forever. I doubt Satriani was melodic at 13 years of age

Here is a video of her playing one of her songs, this is melodic imo

The song itself was pretty good, decent melody... unitl the solo section. Years ago I heard someone say that if you can't sing it or hum it, you're just showing off. I don't necessarily agree with that 100%, but for the average music listener I think it holds true to some degree. Concerning instrumental guitarists, Satriani is the master of melody to me. Even he goes off the deep end quite a bit, but does a pretty good job of keeping the flashy stuff melodic when possible.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I really wish I could shred like her, but there is no soul in there for me to latch onto. No feeling. She is technically great, and I wish her well, and maybe she will discover blues. BB King said more with 3 notes than she does with 128. I think Mr. PRS probably gave her good advice.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Not sure where Paul is criticising her? I heard him giving her praise and some good advice/guidance/wisdom. She can't shred like Gilbert either, that guy is a complete machine and there is lightyears of difference between these players, as you would expect there to be given her age and given his success. When it comes to matters of feel, unfortunately most "shredders" who latch on to that path early on without the kinda guidance that Paul is trying to instil end up as soulless fretboard wankers who have poor bending/vibrato technique and have weak timing when they are playing slowly or around any kind of groove because they didn't work on those elements.

It's the same with drummers who are all chops and tricks but never learn to really groove in the pocket, they can never drive a song forward properly, and can never just live in a space with their playing, because the empty space is unfamiliar trouble territory. You have the same with some guitarists, they aren't comfortable in those empty spaces, they can't groove because their timing development has been limited.

Satriani's groove is amazing though, masterful at times. When you only focus on the flurry of notes you really miss where his genius is, and the gulf between the average shredder and someone like Satch who is a more rounded musician, I mean he's not really a "shredder" in the traditional sense.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure where Paul is criticising her? I heard him giving her praise and some good advice/guidance/wisdom. She can't shred like Gilbert either, that guy is a complete machine and there is lightyears of difference between these players, as you would expect there to be given her age and given his success. When it comes to matters of feel, unfortunately most "shredders" who latch on to that path early on without the kinda guidance that Paul is trying to instil end up as soulless fretboard wankers who have poor bending/vibrato technique and have weak timing when they are playing slowly or around any kind of groove because they didn't work on those elements.

It's the same with drummers who are all chops and tricks but never learn to really groove in the pocket, they can never drive a song forward properly, and can never just live in a space with their playing, because the empty space is unfamiliar trouble territory. You have the same with some guitarists, they aren't comfortable in those empty spaces, they can't groove because their timing development has been limited.

Satriani's groove is amazing though, masterful at times. When you only focus on the flurry of notes you really miss where his genius is, and the gulf between the average shredder and someone like Satch who is a more rounded musician, I mean he's not really a "shredder" in the traditional sense.
I'd say she is closer to the level of Satriani than Paul. One theory says that Gilbert is so good at alternate picking because when he started playing guitar, he played with only upstrokes for 2 years because he didn't know any better lol not sure how believable that is, but considering that upstrokes is most people's weakness

He has this exercise with only upstrokes. What I noticed and other people as well is that he doesn't do the typical pick slanting to switch strings but mutes one string and hits both, especially on his most popular exercise and he probably does that for all his alternate picking licks and only does it when play it fast but not slow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts