Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start recording some tracks on my PC and Im in need of help as where to start.
I cant really afford any software at the moment but I do have a version of Computer Muzys which I got with a magazine, would I be able to use this ? Or is there any free programs on the net that would be better to use?
Im not looking for a professional sound just something that I can lay drum,bass, rhythm and lead tracks down. I would also like to download midi backing tracks off the net and be able to edit them (change key,etc) so that I can jam and sing along to them.
I also have a Boss DR-5 would I be able to use this with the PC? I use to make up backing tracks on it when I was gigging but you cant save that many songs on it and I now dont have any other equipment to put the backings on to free up the memory.
Hope someone can help me out as I'd really like to get some ideas recorded just to see what they sound like.
I had thought about buying a 4 track but Im on the computer everyday so if its easy enough I'd like to give it a try :)
Im new to PC recording so please can you make your replys easy for me to understand ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
To get started, you'll need:
1. RAM. Lots of it. 1GB is a good place to start.
2. HD Space
3. A Firewire interface. I have an M-Audio Firewire 410 that works pretty well. Not terribly expensive at about $265. There are some that cost $799 & up. The higher-end ones include Protools. The one i got included recording software that I'm not using, (Ableton) and should work for basic stuff you're describing.

4. Of course, your computer will need a firewire input. Not that expensive if you don't already have one. It's much faster than USB and you'll want "fast" in every area you can get it.
5. A microphone or two, plus cables

PC has tons of advantages over stand-alone 4-track and the investment isn't that much more.

Good luck!
~K

·
Registered
657 Posts
kennydoe said:
2. HD Space
3. A Firewire interface. I have an M-Audio Firewire 410 that works pretty well. Not terribly expensive at about $265. There are some that cost $799 & up. The higher-end ones include Protools. The one i got included recording software that I'm not using, (Ableton) and should work for basic stuff you're describing.

4. Of course, your computer will need a firewire input. Not that expensive if you don't already have one. It's much faster than USB and you'll want "fast" in every area you can get it.

PC has tons of advantages over stand-alone 4-track and the investment isn't that much more.

Good luck!
~K
do you know any good midi usb cable out there??

thanks

·
Registered
962 Posts
kennydoe said:
2. HD Space

Good luck!
~K
What all does a Firewire Interface do?

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
MIDI-USB Cable? I know that there are smal interfaces...Edirol makes a little blue one. Not terribly expensive.

Firewire interface gets the sound you're creating into the computer. It basically replaces your internal soundcard. It's helpful to have a mixer, but a cheap mixer can do more harm than good with all the noise it puts out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.