Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -
I have been doing research online about these guitars and have several questions.
It seems that the Axis is nothing compared to the peavey wolfgang or olp in terms of the neck. Now i have never played an axis, only a peavey wolfgang special and the olp mm1. The neck on the peavey was much fatter than the olp. But both seemed fine to me in terms of playing. This leads me to getting either the peavey wolfgang - most likely the korean version (QT) because of price or the new olp mm1 w/floyd (like the floyd not because i'm a heavy user, but rather like knowing that if i bend 2 steps the guitar won't go out of tune).
So, the question really is, is the extra money and time spent looking for an used peavey wolfgang worth it compared to the olp?

thanks in advance

jeff

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Well worth it. Dont get me wrong I love the OLP series guitars. I have owned 2 OLP Axis models now and I loved both. But they are basic. I only used them for practising here and there, and throwing about. They are great little guitars for the money! But saving a little extra for a Wolfgang QT is worth it. I know they are Korean axes, but I still love them. My dads friend has one and its lovely. The D-Tuna always comes in handy, it sounds fantastic even with stock pickups too.

The quality is obviously better too all-round. It depends on what your looking to use it for. If its gonna be your main guitar for a couple of years, and being played regulary, maybe even gigging - get the Wolfgang.
If your gonna be using it for basic practising and jamming, not having to worry about things too much - get the OLP.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I completely agree with the godfather - I was thinking pretty much the exact same thing. The OLP is a decent little guy, but not very versatile. I took mine apart and am using it for a new project I've been working on. Pretty good quality and sound for the price, though. I've seen some new OLPs with a recessed Floyd type, but not played one, I don't like the recess look on those, not true to the original EVH enough for me.

The Wolfie Special QT has been great for me. I was surprised at how good the pickups sounded since most people are bashing the hell out of Peavey for changing them when they moved the Specials to Korea - the older USA Specials had the same pickups as the Standards, or so I've read anyway. I was thinking I was going to replace them when I got it from that auction place that we are not to speak of, but they are great. And that D-Tuna is a cool little accessory to have, too. I find myself using that more often than I thought I would. I got mine for just over $400, so it wasn't too much more than the OLP.

Oh, and as an Ibanez Wizard guy, I initially found the neck on each of them to be kind of fat. But, they both became quite comfortable to use after awhile. To me, though, they were pretty close to the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts