Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am the owner of a Peavey XXX super 40 combo which so far sounds killer! It's by far the best amp I've used and owned for the music I play. There's nothing I don't like about the 6L6 but I've heard so many people talk about how much better the amp sounds with JJ EL34s in it instead of 6L6.

I purchased this amp used since I've always loved Joe's tone on Strange Beautiful Music and especialy the High Gain stuff. I mostly play on the Ultra Channel (since the 40watt combo has Active only on Ultra and is basically a 2 channel amp with Clean and Ultra). I still haven't used Distortion pedals on the Clean channel but so far I love the tone I have on the Ultra with the GAIN at about 10 o'clock.

I won't be using the Crunch channel since it shares the same Passive EQ with CLEAN unlike the Head XXX...but this isn't much of an issue since I love the tone I get on Ultra.

My Question is this :

1) Which type of EL34 should I use? A direct link would be usefull :)
2) Anything I should consider first?
3) What should I be carefull with?
4) If you have experience with the XXX 40 ( Clean and Ultra sound just like the Head) what difference will it make?
5) anything else you know out of experience!

Thank you in advance for all your answers which I look forward to!

Constantine

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
You sure it has 6L6s in it? Those came stock with EL34s.

I really like the EH 6CA7s, but they may be a little hard sounding if you are going for lots of compression.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep I'm sure :) it's got 6L6 right now...and they are Sovteks so I will be replacing them...I already like the sound the way it is so I imagine it will be tons better with new and better tubes.

But yeah it came with 6l6. The JSX comes with EL34

1 - 3 of 3 Posts