Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently putting together a pedal board and I'm getting confused with the different types of power supply available. Just wondering if I can power all of these pedals with a T Rex Fuel Tank Classic-
1.Crybaby From Hell
2 Digitech Whammy
3 Boss DD-6
4.Boss Metal Zone
5.MXR Smart Gate
6.TC Electronics Polytune

If anyone could tell me if this set up works or suggest one that would I would appreciate it. Cheers

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
So that T rex doesn't have a manual showing how to use it?
Doesn't it tell you how many pedals it can power?
What about current?

That's interesting cause in 1 second its website showed me all replies to your questions including a link to download its manual.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to the boss website, the compact pedals only work with boss psa dc adapters. Are these adapters any different to any other 9v DC adapters?

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
So that T rex doesn't have a manual showing how to use it?
Doesn't it tell you how many pedals it can power?
What about current?

That's interesting cause in 1 second its website showed me all replies to your questions including a link to download its manual.
Lets play nicely please.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
According to the boss website, the compact pedals only work with boss psa dc adapters. Are these adapters any different to any other 9v DC adapters?
I think Boss says that just so you buy their adaptors - I have 4 Boss pedals on my pedal board (TU2, CS2, DD3 & Keeley DS1) and I run them all with a Voodoo Labs Power Supply II and they work fine. Most Boss pedals specify that you use a psa dc adaptor but they can be powered like any other 9v pedal. the only thing you have to watch for is if the pedal calls for an ACA type adaptor - there aren't many that require this type but there are a few (Boss CS-3 calls for this type of adaptor) in which case you will probably need to use a specific outlet or flip a switch on the power supply your using. you should also confirm that the polarity is center negative on each pedal, which is the standard polarity for most pedals but there are a few exceptions so you should check. It's unlikely you'll encounter either of these exceptions but you should check each pedal to confirm cuz you can damage the pedal or create some bad sounds if any of your pedals do fall under one of the above exceptions.

I've never used a few of the pedals that you're planning on using but the T-Rex fuel tank should be fine for your pedals... I actually noticed an improvement in my tone when I stopped using batteries and went to the Voodoo Lab power supply

hope this helps =)

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
It wont work with the whammy, I'm pretty sure that's a 15 volt power supply. Check out my pedalboard pics elsewhere here. I have a fuel tank jr for most of my pedals and a power strip for the whammy,M9 and fueltank

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
It wont work with the whammy, I'm pretty sure that's a 15 volt power supply.
The Whammy does have a unique power supply requirement - I had a quick look and it looks like the Digitech power supply for the Whammy is 9 volt AC but with 1300mA output, which is much higher output than your typical 9V power supply - so it looks like neither the T rex or the Voodoo Lab will power the Whammy...bummer...

btw - DanMeagher, have you checked out the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ Power Supply? I had a quick look and it lists for about $30 less than the T rex yet it seems to have more options...I have the PP2 plus and it's great...might be worth a look. cheers

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Thanks DG, I knew there was something up with it, but I was too lazy to go in the next room and check.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Just because the power supply is rated at 1300mA doesn't mean the pedal needs that much. It'll state it's power requirements on the pedal itself, and/or in the manual.

Edit: ah the issue is that it needs AC power so you will need to use the Digitech one. Most 9V pedals are DC.

·
Registered
407 Posts
FYI, The TC Electronic Polytune has a DC out on it, so you could power another 9v pedal off of that unit, freeing up another output on your pedalboard power supply unit. I have a Pedal Power ISO 5, and love it. It powers my 9v pedals, as well as a 12v 300mah TC Nova pedal... You are probably stuck using the wall wart for the wammy though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts