Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I have a question about Perle Guitars on Ebay. I know they seem to have a sort of hot or cold reception on the forum, but I am looking into snagging their FR series body for a project with all Ibanez parts (except the body of course). Any opinions on them? Do the bodies look good? Do they need additional sanding, etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I bought a swirled jem body from him a few years ago. It was decent. My tech put the guitar together for me and I think he had to widen the neck pocket a little for the neck I had. However, the neck I used was a cheap aftermarket neck from ebay. I'm sure it would've been fine if I had a real neck on it. I see he is using better wood. When I first bought from him all he offered was Popular.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I've had 2 bodies from him and both needed work .
The second one was stuck to the bubble wrap making it useless as a swirl .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Perle Guitars are excellent. Get a body and a matching neck from him and you'll be very happy. Just use the parts he says are compatible, bridge, nuts ect. They're made in America CNC. I just got a Jem DNA swirl. A "real" Jem would cost me 4 grand if I could find one. Perle made one that's way better for way less. The coolest thing is you can customize them to your imagination.
I mean, can you get a double neck Satriani, one bridge fixed anywhere else? I think not!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Perle Guitars are excellent. Get a body and a matching neck from him and you'll be very happy. Just use the parts he says are compatible, bridge, nuts ect. They're made in America CNC. I just got a Jem DNA swirl. A "real" Jem would cost me 4 grand if I could find one. Perle made one that's way better for way less. The coolest thing is you can customize them to your imagination.
I mean, can you get a double neck Satriani, one bridge fixed anywhere else? I think not!
So let me get this straight, you can't even find the guitar you're comparing to, but you feel confident in stating the one you have is better?

Despite having never played the other one?

Really?

Please try and make claims you can back up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello GuitarBizzare,

I've read negative reviews on Perle and I wanted to give a positive one. I got a Jem DNA swirl. I build guitars and have played hundreds. I was very happy with the quality. No, I have never played a double neck Satriani, but my satement was that he can make you one. I was assuming the guitar that I had received was just like any other guitar that he builds, so that anything on his site it top notch.
I am not disrespecting any other guitar company or guitar, just complimenting his. I said his was way better than, say, an JCraft guitar was what I paid for it, how customized it was to what I wanted, and how quickly I got it. I am very happy with it, and if anyone was on the fence, I wanted to say how good he was. Granted, I had him clear coat the body, and got a neck made at the same time.

Forgive me for making a statement that was not entirely accurate. I am a fan of guitars and will not put down other people's guitars. I am not a snob. I was just very pleased with the work and was passing on to other players and fans of Ibz guitars that here's a guy who will make your own versions of their models.

I hope this clarifies my post
Thank you

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Hello GuitarBizzare,

I've read negative reviews on Perle and I wanted to give a positive one. I got a Jem DNA swirl. I build guitars and have played hundreds. I was very happy with the quality. No, I have never played a double neck Satriani, but my satement was that he can make you one. I was assuming the guitar that I had received was just like any other guitar that he builds, so that anything on his site it top notch.
I am not disrespecting any other guitar company or guitar, just complimenting his. I said his was way better than, say, an JCraft guitar was what I paid for it, how customized it was to what I wanted, and how quickly I got it. I am very happy with it, and if anyone was on the fence, I wanted to say how good he was. Granted, I had him clear coat the body, and got a neck made at the same time.

Forgive me for making a statement that was not entirely accurate. I am a fan of guitars and will not put down other people's guitars. I am not a snob. I was just very pleased with the work and was passing on to other players and fans of Ibz guitars that here's a guy who will make your own versions of their models.

I hope this clarifies my post
Thank you
You admitted in your own post that you CANNOT FIND the guitar that would cost you "4 times as much".

With that in mind, how the hell do you know Perle's is better? You don't. Its as simple as that. You do not own and cannot find to try, the non-perle guitar you are comparing the perle to. You cannot possibly make a comparison. Its a ridiculous claim that you haven't even proven to yourself, let alone to anyone else.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I got a swirled body from Nate a few years ago and I must say it is great. Just as good as an Ibanez Jem, and way way cheaper. And yes Mr Bizarre I have owned a Jem 7DBK, 777dy, 77vbk, AND I still own a Universe. That a good enough comparison for ya?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I got a swirled body from Nate a few years ago and I must say it is great. Just as good as an Ibanez Jem, and way way cheaper. And yes Mr Bizarre I have owned a Jem 7DBK, 777dy, 77vbk, AND I still own a Universe. That a good enough comparison for ya?
Better than saying what taylor is saying, which is just "I couldn't afford one guitar, and so I bought this and I SWEAR TO GOD GUYS ITS WAY BETTER"

and then when he gets asked "But how do you know that, you haven't played the one you're comparing it to", just spewing "WELL I'M HAPPY WITH IT KAY"

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey guys I just got a Porsche.

It's better than a Ferrari.

I've never driven a Ferrari, and there are no Ferrari dealers near me, but I still know my Porsche is better than a Ferrari.

:D

·
Registered
344 Posts
I bought a fireman body off of him..no issues...i did have to redrill my neck but it was an indo neck and that was to be expected...the pocket was perfect, he states his are made for high end (MIJ) i bleieve RG necks.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
The truth is that, in the far past, Nate had some trouble with quality issues and materials. All of those issues have been addressed. For several years now He's had high quality products made with high quality materials. I've been able to inspect a few of his custom necks.....All have been very well crafted and hand finished.........there are minute differences between each of them, all but one of them were expertly done and of high quality. There was one that could have had a bit better fretwork IMO.

I would have no trouble grouping Nate with Ernie as far as quality goes. He would certainly be considered as much as Chris or Ernie if I were in the market for a custom part........Which I always am.:razz::razz:

·
Registered
12 Posts
GuitarBizzare,
You're right, I cannot compare those things. It was an inaccurate statement. Please don't let it take away from how good Perle's stuff is.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I can only judge his stuff by the pictures I see on eBay. Here are two things I've noticed:

1. His swirls are below average
2. He puts 24 fret necks on everything, even when copying bodies that were always 22 fret. That makes me extremely suspicious.

Honestly my expectation would be that what he sells is close but not at the same quality as a genuine Ibanez body. CNC means nothing. Ibanez CNC's their bodies, but that doesn't mean they're done at that point. There is a lot of work that goes into finishing a body past rough milling it.

I have NEVER (capitalized for emphasis) seen an aftermarket body that is 100% correct to a genuine Ibanez body. I welcome the opportunity for someone to show me one so I can eat some crow. But I'm not going to spend money on a Perle body just to prove that I'm right.

Unless you're looking to build something that simply doesn't exist, I don't see the advantage of a custom? I have an LNG, GMC, SK, PBK and FP Jems. I've previously had and later sold a DY, an SK and two VBK's. The LNG and GMC were expensive, but the most I paid for any of the rest of them was $1725, for an almost mint SK. That isn't much more than what people say they're spending on customs, and I have genuine Ibanez guitars. There is not a single person on Earth who would confuse a replica DNA Jem for the real thing. The worst part is that when you go to sell your custom, it isn't worth what you put into it. Look at the classified ads if you don't believe me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Takin' A Ride

I understand your perspective. However, I will not be selling mine! On the contrary, I would be encouraged to have Perle make more.

For future posts and threads, I don't want to put down anybody's guitar.

I just want to let people know what a great experience working with him has been. He was very polite and sent me many pictures, he asked for 20% in advance and shipped the guitar very quickly, and I've never seen a Jem like the one I have, anywhere, made by any company!

And if anybody's on the fence about getting a Jem swirl, I would say go for it, there's really no guitar like them. But get a good one!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I recently got a JS body from him and I'm very happy with it. The quality of workmanship is good. The quality of the wood is good.

The body will need a bit of work to build up into a complete guitar such as sanding out some sharp edges and smoothing out a few rough surfaces, and some routing to fit my pickups, as well as other finishing work. Frankly, though, any guitar body likely will need that final detail work to build into a complete, highly playable, quality musical instrument.

Overall I'm extremely pleased -- even more so when I consider that my JS6 facsimile project will come in at less than one third the cost of the real deal.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The 2 bodies (swirls ) i ended up with from Perle needed lots of work . The first one was stuck to the bubble wrap as earlier stated and the wood grain was very prominent through what was left of the swirl and also needed the claw re-routing( by Jaden ),the neck pocket had to be opened and a pick-gaurd wouldn't fit so I fixed it up and had Al (Oots ) swirl a PMC out of it.

The 2nd one I got in a job lot of stuff from Ebay and the guy I got it from said he gave up on it because everything he tried to fit to it wouldn't . I sorted all the probs out and touched up the swirl and finished it (its in the gallery as a DNA job lot swirl)

This was a few years ago and I'm sure he has learned a lot more from his mistakes by now.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts