Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking around the Dimarzio website and it looks like John Petrucci is using D-sonic pickups now. I'm guess he uses them for the C tunned stuff but it's interesting anyway.

He still using Steve Specials? :p

·
Registered
500 Posts
I saw that in the G3 Live in Tokyo DVD, too.

I haven't tried a Drop Sonic, but the EQ curve and output are very similar to a Blaze Custom, which is apparently very similar to what he has in his EBMM JP7's.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I think that the REGULAR Blaze pickups (what comes stock in the UVs) are what is similar to the Steve's Special and not the Blaze Custom. Trust me, the BC is an entirely different beast than the Blaze.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Yup, and he hasnt used the SS/AN combo ever since he left Ibanez... The custom dimarzios he has on the EBMM guitars are supposed to be "like the SS/AN combo, only a lil higher output"...

But, after all this time, who knows :/

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Ozzdoc said:
Yea, has anybody tried the D-sonic's?
yeah they are great pickups and actually pretty versital . Espically if you play with the orientation of the pickup . I found that there was a huge difference with sound depending on the way the bar is facing

http://www.podsafeaudio.com/jamroom/bands/562/

the metal 5150 was done with a d-soinc and paf pro combo in an rgt42

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
marianozz said:
Yup, and he hasnt used the SS/AN combo ever since he left Ibanez... The custom dimarzios he has on the EBMM guitars are supposed to be "like the SS/AN combo, only a lil higher output"...

But, after all this time, who knows :/
Yeah, supposedly the pickups in the EBMM JP are supposedly "like the SS/AN, but only a lil sh!ttier". They suck. That is why you see him in various venues experimenting with different pick-up combinations. At one point I believe he had a X2N in the bridge...

Everyone I know (myself included) that has one of these guitars immediately wants to swap them out.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
jra2217 said:
yeah they are great pickups and actually pretty versital . Espically if you play with the orientation of the pickup . I found that there was a huge difference with sound depending on the way the bar is facing

http://www.podsafeaudio.com/jamroom/bands/562/

the metal 5150 was done with a d-soinc and paf pro combo in an rgt42
They Sound Great for the Metal type sounds. I now know why Petrucci uses them hehe. It sounds exactly like petrucci haha.

For The Tone Zone clip What kind of wood is your body, Basswood by any chances?

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Ozzdoc said:
They Sound Great for the Metal type sounds. I now know why Petrucci uses them hehe. It sounds exactly like petrucci haha.

For The Tone Zone clip What kind of wood is your body, Basswood by any chances?
yes it is in my rg570 .

the d-soinc , is sort of like a tone zone with a little more edgyness in the mids and an extened bass responce .

the tone zone is great . It gives me the sound i have been looking for. Smoother, rounded, but still with a good treble presence .

That clips wasn't the greatest thing ever . I'll see if i can't get a better one recorded.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
by extended i mean that the bass goes deeper . Again that all depends on it's orintation .

"Installation direction makes a noticeable difference in the sound, particularly with overdriven amps. With the solid bar toward the bridge, the sound is a little brighter and better-defined, and this is the direction we recommend for heavy strings and low tunings"

this side definetly has a much deep bass

"With the adjustable polepieces toward the bridge, the sound is warmer and a touch louder, and we think this works best for standard tuning and more solo-oriented playing. Each coil has a unique tonal character, so the two split sounds are different, and parallel humbucking produces a third clean and bright sound."

with the bar to the neck the pickup sounds like a more aggresive tone zone with less roundness and more edge . I liked this side better and the clip i recorded had the pickup this way .

tighter? that is a hard question . I am not sure what exactly you mean by tighter . The pickups are voiced a lot differently .

·
Registered
201 Posts
I mean, which pickup retains more clarity under heavy distortion? what is the note clarity like within chords?

I'm going to be looking for some pickups for a guitar at some point, I'm using a FRED in the bridge of my main guitar at the moment which I find to be tight and have really good clarity. For my other guitar I want something fairly similar just with a more solid low end and a little less attack but still keeping a good bit of the clarity and tightness that the fred has.

Do you have any experience with the FRED?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
From what I read about the D-Sonic (or drop sonic), it's a pickup ideal for drop tunings because it gives you an extra ummph with low powerchords. Or, if you're more the soloist like Petrucci you can install the pickup the other way. I was going to put a Tone Zone in my RG321MH but now I'm looking at the D-sonic as well because it looks really cool.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Chud said:
Was looking around the Dimarzio website and it looks like John Petrucci is using D-sonic pickups now. I'm guess he uses them for the C tunned stuff but it's interesting anyway.

He still using Steve Specials? :p
I noticed the same thing... but he may be using them some of the time only too...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.