Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just bought a PGM301 from 2004 and compared the sound to my RG 2550z from 2015.
The PGM301 sounds better with a different tone.
The PGM has a maple fretboard with 010 strings. The RG2550z has a rosewood fretboard with 09 strings.

If I buy the Paf Pro pickup to my 2550z, will I get the same sound/tone?

I really love the PGM tone. :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a PGM100 with a Paf pros and. A Jem 77fp with Paf Pros.
Both sound very similar to me. And are two of my fav sounding instruments and were my go to gigging guitars for ages.

So if you put the same pickups in a guitar with a similar construction/bridge type/scale length as you have then I think you'll get pretty similar results. I don't think maple fretboard vs rosewood makes that much difference on a fully amped up electric where most other factors are similar.

I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I understand. :)

The difference with my RG´s is that PGM has fixed bridge and 2550 has Edge Zero tremolo. I dont you use the tremolo at all.
Do you think the bridge affects the sound?
Another difference is that the PGM doesnt have ton control and the 2550 has..

·
Registered
407 Posts
The bridge will have an effect. So they won't be identical.
I have a JS1000 and a JS1600 - same scenario. They're similar but not identical.
Certainly I can jump from one to the other on the same rig without half an hours EQ tweaking. But you might be more sensitive to little variations than me.
You can probably get them closer by blocking the trem if you don't use it. Usually fixed bridge can give a little more sustain than a Floyd.

The tone knob is the same for me with the FP vs PGM 100 question.
If you regularly look for different tones by playing with the tone rolled off you'll notice differences. If you don't i doubt it'll be a big deal.. Your mileage may vary etc...

·
Registered
850 Posts
I love the sound of the Paf Pros on my ´89 Jem77FP. So smooth. Compared to my Jem90th with Evos and ebony board, which sounds REALLY sterile and in your face. Maybe the aluminium pickuguard has something to do with the sound or all together. The 90th is really loud and snappy sounding acoustically, too. A lot louder than the 77FP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!
Agree - the bridge has an effect.
I also been thinking about experimenting with the pickup height..Have you done it? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thanks!
Agree - the bridge has an effect.
I also been thinking about experimenting with the pickup height..Have you done it? Any recommendations?
I haven't played with pick up height as i think i have mine just right already. But you should check it as part of your usual set up routine.
Re trem blocking: easy test before investing in a tremelo no or something like that is to use some picks or coins wrapped in painters tape to make a block just the right width to insert into the trem to block it solid. That won't give you quite as solid a connection as fixing it rigid. But it's a fast 'n' free approximation. (And also my go to trick for keeping Floyds stable when changing strings).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts