Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just being built for Vai apparently, but of course, it had to be a PIA, why is this 35th anniversary when is not a Jem? The anniversary is for the Jem, not PIA. The PIA is not 35th years old. Makes no sense to me. They could've at least made a Jem premium 35h anniversary

A shame the Jem was reduced to a lower quality line

Looks nice, but this should've been a Jem. I wonder if they make it production how much it will cost probably like 7k+

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The anniversary is based on when the artist signed, not what model it is. Paul Gilbert signed playing RG550's, His models were always RG based, his 35th would be a Fireman. Nothing unusual here.

There's no question they will be made. Or that they'll make too few and they'll be expensive.
at least 7k imo

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we're in the worst era to buy guitars, it will take years for things to settle down, many manufacturers still riding the covid train and overpricing their products. Reverb and eBAY, guitars, and gear are more expensive than ever before, especially discontinued models

the deals that one used to get like 15% even 20% from musicianfriends and sweetwater if you contacted them through chat are long gone, at best they may be able to do 5% if is not a new released guitar or gear

I've seen this in other hobbies I like as well, everything went up, scalpers, manufacturers, retailers, etc benefited from covid

·
Administrator
7,525 Posts
we're in the worst era to buy guitars, it will take years for things to settle down, many manufacturers still riding the covid train and overpricing their products. Reverb and eBAY, guitars, and gear are more expensive than ever before, especially discontinued models

the deals that one used to get like 15% even 20% from musicianfriends and sweetwater if you contacted them through chat are long gone, at best they may be able to do 5% if is not a new released guitar or gear

I've seen this in other hobbies I like as well, everything went up, scalpers, manufacturers, retailers, etc benefited from covid
The pricing of these though is more about art than it is about guitars. I’m not a fan of the PIA full stop, I could maybe have been persuaded to spend the money on a Bonvillain JEM though. But realistically I’d probably just buy a normal JEM and a painting ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Jem is dead, I was hoping for both a Jem and a Pia 35th anniversary models but evidently they are not interested in making high quality MIJ Jems anymore. The worst part is that Ibanez could have kept the MIJ Jem line and add stainless steel frets, magnetic backplate cover, and all the other new PIA features. I hate comparisons but Music Man was able to have two John Petrucci signature models (JP15 & Majesty) with the same features and same quality, they also have budget friendly Sterling models for both signature models. The truth is they should’ve updated the current Jem line to modern standards instead of releasing the Pia version since apparently they can’t coexist in the same Japanese factory…….

·
Administrator
7,525 Posts
I think the idea is that the PIA represents what Steve Vai feels his guitar should be these days and that's what he want's Ibanez to focus on. Rumour is that he wanted to pull the JEM line completely but that Ibanez convinced him to keep it alive in the background.

What I'd love to know is whether the PIA will long term hurt or help sales? Vai's a true guitar legend but is his profile these days enough to sell a new guitar past the novelty value of it being a new Steve Vai Guitar?

I've loved all the colour combinations so far, especially the original Envy Green and Stallion White and now the amazing Blue Powder, but the I just don't get on with the look of the petal grip, I don't like the overly radiused body edges (I'd just go the whole way and get a JS if I wanted that) and the inlay seems a watered down version of the original vine. Steve's impact on my playing, 30 years ago was immense, but today Passion and Warfare seems like a childhood memory and the nostalgia I feel isn't for the PIA, it's for the JEM, and the new guitar just doesn't stir my wallet ;)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Idk I think "canceling" the JEM was pretty stupid. That would be like Gibson making an altered version of the Les Paul... And then not making the oringal. That would be completely idiotic. The JEM is ibanez's Les Paul. They FINALLY started to make a Les Paul with some upgraded options... Like a contoured heel, weight reduction... Hell they even have a dang Floyd on some models like Alex Lifesons...

·
Administrator
7,525 Posts
Idk I think "canceling" the JEM was pretty stupid. That would be like Gibson making an altered version of the Les Paul... And then not making the oringal. That would completely idiotic. The JEM is ibanez's Les Paul. They FINALLY started to make a Les Paul with some upgraded options... Like a contoured heel, weight reduction... Hell they even have a dang Floyd on some models like Alex Lifesons...
I agree, the PIA to me seems like the SG was for Gibson when they tried to package that as the ‘new’ Les Paul. Apart from the PIA is 100% Vai’s guitar and it seems like it’s more some of the older fans that don’t like it.

I think the JEM is/was one of the few signature guitars that has perhaps become more than just a signature model, but a model in its own right and I’m taking its imposed semi-retirement personally ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the idea is that the PIA represents what Steve Vai feels his guitar should be these days and that's what he want's Ibanez to focus on. Rumour is that he wanted to pull the JEM line completely but that Ibanez convinced him to keep it alive in the background.

What I'd love to know is whether the PIA will long term hurt or help sales? Vai's a true guitar legend but is his profile these days enough to sell a new guitar past the novelty value of it being a new Steve Vai Guitar?

I've loved all the colour combinations so far, especially the original Envy Green and Stallion White and now the amazing Blue Powder, but the I just don't get on with the look of the petal grip, I don't like the overly radiused body edges (I'd just go the whole way and get a JS if I wanted that) and the inlay seems a watered down version of the original vine. Steve's impact on my playing, 30 years ago was immense, but today Passion and Warfare seems like a childhood memory and the nostalgia I feel isn't for the PIA, it's for the JEM, and the new guitar just doesn't stir my wallet ;)
I agree, the PIA to me seems like the SG was for Gibson when they tried to package that as the ‘new’ Les Paul. Apart from the PIA is 100% Vai’s guitar and it seems like it’s more some of the older fans that don’t like it.

I think the JEM is/was one of the few signature guitars that has perhaps become more than just a signature model, but a model in its own right and I’m taking its imposed semi-retirement personally ;)
The problem with the Pia is the petal grip, it doesn’t seems to be as “functional” as the monkey grip. You look at the monkey grip and you can immediately understand ok it is a handle and kinda makes sense. The petal grip is just random holes without any purpose. Again, I’m ok with Ibanez and Steve Vai releasing a new model every year if they want to buy please keep the MIJ Jem in production. A blue powder Jem with all the Pia upgrades (stainless steel frets, utopia pickups, magnetic backplate, etc) would be sick!!!

·
Administrator
7,525 Posts
I also have a big issue with the enlarged radius of the body edges, it softens the shape too much which in turn contrasts with the sharp edges on the petal grip itself. Everything about it seems backwards somehow. It’s just not for me.

But the colour scheme of the blue powder one is absolutely beautiful.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts