Ibanez JEM Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I saw Steve live last week. The black and gold Pia looked killer on stage. Think I became a convert then.

The trouble for Ibanez is I don't feel the need to buy one. I'm happy with the guitars I've got.
I haven’t seen a Pia on a music store yet, maybe it will happen the same way for me as the MM Majesty. For a long time I refused to even think about getting a Majesty. I have a JP15 and and also an Ibanez JP4 and when they released the Majesty I thought it was the ugliest guitar ever. I ended up playing one and felt in love with that guitar and bought one last year. But the whole point is that Music Man keeps the old model (JP15) in production here in the US, every year we get new color combinations and has the exact same features as the newer Majesty model (stainless steel frets, DB boost, etc). Maybe Steve Vai and Ibanez haven’t figured out that teenagers back in the late 80s and 90s that wanted a Jem couldn’t afford it until now and this product is discontinued ( I don’t like the white or black Jems so I’ve been waiting for the last four years or so for them to release a new color). I love the new Pia color combinations like the blue powder but yesterday ended up buying a used Jem 7v SBL instead of Pia, I am sure the Pia is probably a better guitar just looking at specs but the Jem is the iconic guitar that changed the guitar world back in the 80s, it is a part of history like the Les Paul and the Stratocaster…..

·
Registered
552 Posts
I haven’t seen a Pia on a music store yet, maybe it will happen the same way for me as the MM Majesty. For a long time I refused to even think about getting a Majesty. I have a JP15 and and also an Ibanez JP4 and when they released the Majesty I thought it was the ugliest guitar ever. I ended up playing one and felt in love with that guitar and bought one last year. But the whole point is that Music Man keeps the old model (JP15) in production here in the US, every year we get new color combinations and has the exact same features as the newer Majesty model (stainless steel frets, DB boost, etc). Maybe Steve Vai and Ibanez haven’t figured out that teenagers back in the late 80s and 90s that wanted a Jem couldn’t afford it until now and this product is discontinued ( I don’t like the white or black Jems so I’ve been waiting for the last four years or so for them to release a new color). I love the new Pia color combinations like the blue powder but yesterday ended up buying a used Jem 7v SBL instead of Pia, I am sure the Pia is probably a better guitar just looking at specs but the Jem is the iconic guitar that changed the guitar world back in the 80s, it is a part of history like the Les Paul and the Stratocaster…..
The fact lots of stores don't carry the Pia probably doesn't help. It looks better in real life than in the photos.

Ironically one of the other models like that is the sparkle blue Jem. When I first saw pictures of those I thought they looked cheap and bland. Then I got to see one for real years later when I was checking out the guitars stores in Ochanomisu (Tokyo) I did a full 180. They're one of the best. Pity I couldn't afford it at the time or I would've bought it on the spot.

You're all also right, it would be great if they could support both lines.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Obviously there's going to be a lot of love for the JEM on "Jemsite", but I'll admit to being in the minority here in preferring the PIA. I hadn't seen one in person, but having owned some RGs (and played a JEM in a store) the biggest turnoffs for me were the boxy edge routing (compared to, say, a strat) and the lack of stainless steel frets. I'm not a huge fan of the monkey grip or the petal grip, though the vine/blossom inlays have grown on me. When I saw the PIA had more rounded edges and SS frets, I took a gamble and ordered one.

This is by far the most expensive guitar I've bought, and I couldn't be more pleased. Even after the honeymoon period has ended, about six months in, I still play it every day. I've recently sold a couple others because I just didn't feel the urge to pick them up any more, and a couple more may be on the way out soon for the same reason. I can see myself holding on to little else.

I've got another PIA on the way, this time the Onyx Black to complement the Stallion White I already have. The difference in finishes--satin rather than gloss--is functionally significant enough for me to justify having another, as the satin is so much nicer in the warmer, more humid months. Also, that black + gold color scheme looks amazing to me. The pearl white paint on the Stallion model is so much better in person than in the best of photos, and I'll bet the same is true of those gold inlays on the Onyx model. Once again I've ordered w/out having seen one in person, so I've got my fingers crossed...

I can't imagine anything Ibanez could do to be true to the JEM line that would tempt me to buy one. But I can definitely imagine buying another PIA--such as if they produce one with a sustainer system and/or scalloped frets, a couple of things that Steve mentioned may be happening in a video I saw a year or two ago. For better or worse, he doesn't interested in working on/with the JEM line at all. And I'm 100% OK with that.

·
Administrator
7,529 Posts
Obviously there's going to be a lot of love for the JEM on "Jemsite", but I'll admit to being in the minority here in preferring the PIA. I hadn't seen one in person, but having owned some RGs (and played a JEM in a store) the biggest turnoffs for me were the boxy edge routing (compared to, say, a strat) and the lack of stainless steel frets. I'm not a huge fan of the monkey grip or the petal grip, though the vine/blossom inlays have grown on me. When I saw the PIA had more rounded edges and SS frets, I took a gamble and ordered one.
I love that someone else feels exactly the same about the difference between the two guitars!

I was starting to feel that I was over-reacting to the different edge routing on them, and although we each prefer the opposite feel, it's great to see that someone else thinks it's a BIG thing in the overall makeup of the guitar! :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
I love that someone else feels exactly the same about the difference between the two guitars!

I was starting to feel that I was over-reacting to the different edge routing on them, and although we each prefer the opposite feel, it's great to see that someone else thinks it's a BIG thing in the overall makeup of the guitar! :D
That's a really good way to put it--the difference is significant enough to some of us that we prefer one design over the other. I have my preference but I can equally well understand why someone might prefer the reverse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw Steve live last week. The black and gold Pia looked killer on stage. Think I became a convert then.

The trouble for Ibanez is I don't feel the need to buy one. I'm happy with the guitars I've got.
Same here, saw him two weeks ago and the black Pia blew me away too. So far I've found them way too gaudy but on stage it just looked classy as hell. Hoping to get to test one soon.

The trouble for me is I feel a need to buy all of them lol. Luckily only four of them so far and none of them over the top expensive. If this swirl Pia came out for sale though...I might be forced to do something irresponsible.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This swirl looks better the closer I get, the more I zoom in on that photo. The details are really cool, it's inviting a close inspection. When I back off a step or two from my screen, I don't like it at all, just a blur of muck.

Other swirls have just the opposite effect on me, they're nothing special up close but look really nice from more of a distance. Here are a couple examples:

Shoe Font Art Bag Personal protective equipment

Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory String instrument

Personally, I'm not a fan of something with intermediate level detail/nuance in the swirl. I like either a lot of detail, so it'll look great up close, or relatively little (like these two pics) so it'll still look good at a distance. Does anyone have an example of a swirl that holds up well at all viewing distances?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts