Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a lucky owner of a white PIA. It's my first Ibanez and I've never been a big fan of Dimarzio pickups, the Utopias in the PIA have grown on me.

One trick I had to find out was for the position 2 & 4 switch settings, to get more of a spank/quack/pop sound you have to lower the volume knob and then engage (pull up) on the high-pass knob (volume). What an awesome sound I get with that (especially when using a major load of compression).

Just keeping the volume up all the way gave good humbucker sounds, and positions 2&4 had an almost piezo/acoustic sound to me. But now rolling back the volume and lifting up the high-pass really adds an entirely new dimension. So most of you may have known that, took me a while to catch on.

I still think the guitar looks ridiculous, but who cares as it is just so comfortable to play, the fret work and action are near perfect, and it now sounds amazing with so many options to tap into. My wife only sees the huge smile on my face (and former dent to the checking account!).

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm a lucky owner of a white PIA. It's my first Ibanez and I've never been a big fan of Dimarzio pickups, the Utopias in the PIA have grown on me.

One trick I had to find out was for the position 2 & 4 switch settings, to get more of a spank/quack/pop sound you have to lower the volume knob and then engage (pull up) on the high-pass knob (volume). What an awesome sound I get with that (especially when using a major load of compression).

Just keeping the volume up all the way gave good humbucker sounds, and positions 2&4 had an almost piezo/acoustic sound to me. But now rolling back the volume and lifting up the high-pass really adds an entirely new dimension. So most of you may have known that, took me a while to catch on.

I still think the guitar looks ridiculous, but who cares as it is just so comfortable to play, the fret work and action are near perfect, and it now sounds amazing with so many options to tap into. My wife only sees the huge smile on my face (and former dent to the checking account!).
agree on all counts. The pickup position two is extremely unique. For me at least it provides a Zepplinesque Communication Breakdown vibe. Haven't had coil splits so pronounced (and good sounding)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts