1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

i hv just try to install a new pickguard on my squier strat
its both a 8hole pickguard
but after i got everythign from one pickguard to another....i found that the holes are not in the exact place....and i only manage to screw back 4 of the 8 screws...

any suggestions of waht i shud do??.....re drill the hole or just leave it as it is??

also...just a side question...i found the 12th fret at high E start to buzz on bends...after installin the pickguard...will a normal setup at a guitar tech will fix it?

thx

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Re the "holes left empty" what I would do is cut a couple of screws and glue them in place to preserve the visibility.

Re the buzz, yes a setup will normally fix it, though the setup could require fretwork.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ibateur said:
Re the "holes left empty" what I would do is cut a couple of screws and glue them in place to preserve the visibility.

Re the buzz, yes a setup will normally fix it, though the setup could require fretwork.
thats a gd idea..but doesnt the pickguard come lose or anything?

i dun think the buzz happen before i replace the pickguard....do u think theres anythign to do with the unbalance tension on the neck?..caz i just losen all the strings

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
elcid said:
Get a drill and screw the other ones in
about few holes overlap on the other pre-drilled holes..
i dont think the screws will stay in place caz that expands the current hole

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Leave it as is. Aftermarket strat pickguards are always screwy. If you can turn the guitar upside down without the guard falling off you'll be fine ;)

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
OR ... look for those non-pre-drilled pickguards and match them up then transfer all the electronics from one guard to the new one. Maybe you can trade in the other "new" one at the store.

I recently bought a mighty-mite pre-wired pickguard, thinking that "all strat dimensions are the same". Boy was I wrong. Since the body was a ply-wood poS, I drilled new holes. It sure didn't look pretty.

If the holes are mis-aligned but will reach the original holes, I would NOT even try. You'd end up with ovalled holes.

You could also try the link up there (pickguard paradise) and find out what your options are (for a price)...

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Same thing happened with my strat... so I brought my original pickguard with me the second time to buy one that fit.

Also happened on my VWH... the mirrored guard doesn't line up all the holes perfectly... so I just left them out. It stays in place just fine... no one ever notices.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I screwed only about 5 screws. Same thing usually on those replacement pickguards but even with only 5 screws the pickguard doesn't fall off.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ibateur said:
OR ... look for those non-pre-drilled pickguards and match them up then transfer all the electronics from one guard to the new one. Maybe you can trade in the other "new" one at the store.

I recently bought a mighty-mite pre-wired pickguard, thinking that "all strat dimensions are the same". Boy was I wrong. Since the body was a ply-wood poS, I drilled new holes. It sure didn't look pretty.

If the holes are mis-aligned but will reach the original holes, I would NOT even try. You'd end up with ovalled holes.

You could also try the link up there (pickguard paradise) and find out what your options are (for a price)...

Good luck!
i got myself a Anodized gold pickguard ...damn it didnt fit..i guess i can now go around and match a pcikguard up now with the one taken off...an actual fender anodized gold cost a fortune and they look the same

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shredfreak said:
I screwed only about 5 screws. Same thing usually on those replacement pickguards but even with only 5 screws the pickguard doesn't fall off.
what i m worry is that theres only 1 screw on the top side of the pickguard
(in playin position..) while the 2 screws in the middle bottom side fits....and one screw on the bottom side towards the switch

i m just worry the pickguard doenst get a balance support and rips the wood out whn i strat playin heavily n swinging the guitar and moving around

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
jim777 said:
Leave it as is. Aftermarket strat pickguards are always screwy. If you can turn the guitar upside down without the guard falling off you'll be fine ;)
Bingo. Get a few in and leave it alone... glen

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i guess i'll leave it alone with 4 screws and try it out in the coming gig...since i will be using that guitar as main..

i still haven't shield the pickguard yet...pretty noisy...

·
Registered
49 Posts
it's quite simple really:

some stratpickguards have 7 or 8 holes and some have 11 or 12. If you change one pickguard for the other only 4 or 5holes will line up and one hole (neard the tone knobs) will not fit.

There's only one solution basically; drill holes or the guard won't be in place properly. You'll risk messing up your wires and/or pickups whilst moving about...

good luck!

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
sugizo_esp said:
hi

i hv just try to install a new pickguard on my squier strat
its both a 8hole pickguard
but after i got everythign from one pickguard to another....i found that the holes are not in the exact place....and i only manage to screw back 4 of the 8 screws...

any suggestions of waht i shud do??.....re drill the hole or just leave it as it is??

also...just a side question...i found the 12th fret at high E start to buzz on bends...after installin the pickguard...will a normal setup at a guitar tech will fix it?

thx
Maybe this suggestion is a bit expensive since it is squire but you could go to Pickguard Paradise :) (banner above).

Regards

André

1 - 16 of 16 Posts