Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I've used just Fender heavys. But I'm always open to try new things. So far, nothing comes close. I just want to try something new, something that doesn't wear as easily like the Dunlops with the beveled edge.

My favorite all time pick was the Pickboy. The tip was a little sharper, but they wear too easily.

Has anyone used the Ibanez V-resin?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dunlop Ultex picks take a ton of abuse. They last forever. I have been on the same 2 picks for over a year now. There is some wear, but nothing major. The Fender picks wear out really quick. The Pickboy ones seem to disintegrate with every stroke, but they are very nice.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have to sing the praises of the Clayton ULTEM standard. I play with the 1.07mm and really like these picks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ibanez Paul Gilbert are now my fav. as it has similar feeling as Pickboy's
(Tried Tortex and Fender but now using this ones)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried the Jazz IIIs when I was in college. For some reason I just feel like I need to be holding on to more. I guess I'm just used to bigger picks, and a jazz pick would take some getting used to. I definitely like the tip on those Jazz IIIs.

·
Registered
636 Posts
im a big fan of the tortex... except i use .88 (green!!) lol, they're almost like a crutch to me now, i feel uncomfortable with other picks that arent similar, i find myself not able to pick as fast with other ones and whats worse... i got my other guitarist started on them. i didnt think picks were supposed to be this big of a deal :lol:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really liked the Jazz III, I've been using it most of the night. I also like the Dunlop Gator Grip 1.14mm. My playing was much more articulate with the Jazz III. However, I find it really hard to play harmonics using that pick.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I second Pawel's recommendation. Someone (perhaps on the Robben Ford site) suggested the Dunlop Big Stubbys, and it has literally done wonders for my picking. Plus they last WAY longer than the Dunlop 1.14mm Tortex I was previously using. The come in 2 lengths (Stubby and Big Stubby, the latter of which is about the size of a normal pick), and in 3 thicknesses: 1, 2, and 3mm. I never thought I'd grow to love a 3mm pick, but these have made a huge difference in my picking technique. Incidentally, the picking end tapers down, so they're not really 3mm at the business end, but they are extremely stiff.
Bert

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
stratoskier said:
I second Pawel's recommendation. Someone (perhaps on the Robben Ford site) suggested the Dunlop Big Stubbys, and it has literally done wonders for my picking. Plus they last WAY longer than the Dunlop 1.14mm Tortex I was previously using. The come in 2 lengths (Stubby and Big Stubby, the latter of which is about the size of a normal pick), and in 3 thicknesses: 1, 2, and 3mm. I never thought I'd grow to love a 3mm pick, but these have made a huge difference in my picking technique. Incidentally, the picking end tapers down, so they're not really 3mm at the business end, but they are extremely stiff.
Bert
I am alternating between the 1mm, 2mm, and 3mm Stubby's. Mostly use 2's and occasionaly 3's for single-note things, and the 1mm one for more chordal stuff. My only beef with the Stubbys is that the 1mm ones are perfectly clear, which means I keep constantrly loosing them..:-S

1 - 18 of 18 Posts