Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I realize I'm probably going to get a different answer from every person that responds, but I could use input anyway. I have an S5470 and am looking to swap out the pickups, probably for a set of DiMarzios. My goals are: better sustain, better harmonics, and less mud (roughly in that order).

I play a wide range of music and would like this guitar to have tons of versatility. I need a good blues sound (Jimi and SRV), classic rock (Led Zep), harder rock/metal (EVH, Jake E Lee, Randy Rhodes, Kirk Hammett, assorted hair metal), and I'd like it to be able to do some jazz (planning to start learning jazz soon).

I was thinking maybe Evo 2 bridge, True Velvet middle, and Air Norton neck. Thoughts? Feedback?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I found that the neck pickup in the S series guitars is actually pretty freakin good. Very smooth. The Evo neck I replaced it with was too shrill, not enough warmth and I regretted it. i changed it for more sustain, and in the end a pickup just can't give you an appreciable amount more sustain without a corresponding increase in string noise.

As for bridge pickup, I'd go for the original evo before the evo2, although I'd say string pull is an issue with HSH setups. I'd reccomend going for something a little more vintage in the output stakes. Lotsa 7 string folks love using the Breed Neck in the bridge. Perhaps try that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting that you say that... I actually don't hate my neck pickup. Just figured if I'm changing the other two, might as well do the whole set.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
not worth it. I think the neck pickup is very well made.

The bridge pickups in those dim/ibz sets definitely need more bite though.

The single? Well I'm not sure. the icvs2 certainly isnt an improvement. its too shrill, just like the evo neck, but I was never bowled over by it stock either. I'd say try a few if possible, or ask dimarzio.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The Seymour Duncan Jb/Jazz combo would suit your needs. It's really versatile, sounds great in mahogany, and they both sound good when coil split imho.

Rock on!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a bunch of mishaps with shipping, I finally got my pickups and installed them yesterday. Air Norton in the neck, True Velvet middle, and Evo 2 Bridge.

Haven't had much time to play on it yet, but as far as I can tell the sustain issue is cured. Notes seem to hang longer and decay more gradually.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[Sorry for the broken up links. The 20 posts before you can post a link rule is really annoying.]

Got around to recording a few samples last night. Here's some random noodling:

htt p://www .you tube. com/watch?v=Ofs09rs8hXQ

Here's a sustain test with the new pickups:

htt p://www .you tube. com/watch?v=ey4so9GrN3E

And here's the sustain test with the original pickups:

htt p://www .you tube. com/watch?v=lEhWjnlxloI

1 - 8 of 8 Posts