Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so, I've been a fan of the JS guitars line of pickups. Here lately my taste has been changing a bit. I have Mo Joe's, PAF Joe's mainly in my guitars. Though lately I've been getting into cleaner tones, I have a HSS config with fender hot noiseless pups and HSH config with a USA ibz c3 in the middle. To clean up while split, they seem to lack the chime I am after. I have to really turn the volume knob down and reaaaallly utilize my treble bleed cap with a higher gain channel to achieve the character my brain is hearing. Mainly because they are fairly high output... I assume that's why they lack the chime. How it makes sense to me is I am essentially dialing back the output of the pickups with the volume knob. Which works great but I am really losing some decibels to achieve this.

Although I love the mo joe and paf Joe while using some higher gain. The Mo Joe has some awesome harmonics and feeds back beautifully. I have been listening to a lot of clips of the AZ series guitars and LOVE the funky tones... the twangy tones plus the high gain tones they can achieve. I found some info on them but nothing really definitive. My question is, based on what I have, does anyone know of a good combo to achieve the tones I have described while still being able to have a killer humbucking lead tone? Or am I stuck with just a regular PAF or PAF pro? Not there's anything wrong with them, I've owned them in the past and they are definitely tried and true great pups.

My guitar's specific characteristics
Guitar 1
540R HSH
The Neck is roasted Maple with a rosewood board and SS frets (22)
Body is made of Basswood
Lo- Pro Edge

Guitar 2
540R HSS
Maple Neck with rose wood fingerboard
Basswood Body
Original Edge

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Stick an eq pedal in your chain straight after the guitar. That way you can accentuate the frequencies you are after, adjust the output etc. You'll never make a humbucker sound like a vintage single coil, but I have had some really pleasing results doing this.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Stick an eq pedal in your chain straight after the guitar. That way you can accentuate the frequencies you are after, adjust the output etc. You'll never make a humbucker sound like a vintage single coil, but I have had some really pleasing results doing this.
Yep I do the same with my Paf Pro HSH Jem/PGM and my JS. Also useful as a small boost to kick on to offset volume loss with coil splits.

I also use a KMA Logan as my main gain pedal. Has a really powerful switchable mids boost/cut function. Sometimes when I don't want my JS to sound so much like a JS I use it to cut out some of that mid bump. E.g. when playing traditional strat songs where the JS otherwise sounds a little nasal.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
🤔 this may be a better option than replacing 3 guitars worth of pickups haha. My idea about changing the pickups to a lower output vintage humbuckers came about because... If I want more gain I can just turn up the gain on my amp. I have a Peavey JSX, and the lower output pickups seem to be more versatile. Especially for clean tones. They just sound better.

·
Registered
570 Posts
🤔 this may be a better option than replacing 3 guitars worth of pickups haha. My idea about changing the pickups to a lower output vintage humbuckers came about because... If I want more gain I can just turn up the gain on my amp. I have a Peavey JSX, and the lower output pickups seem to be more versatile. Especially for clean tones. They just sound better.
Yes.. I'll probably end up getting a strat or a charvel one day for that very reason. I just spent this years GAS budget on a jazz bass though so I'll need to stick with the EQ trick a while longer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Glassy tones from humbuckers are possible!

My "recipe": choose humbuckers in the 10 to 14k range. Why? They spilt to 5 to 7k coils (strat territory) and parallel (which is quiet and a brighter version of the bucker with less bass)

Inner coils parallel makes a sound more glassy and stratty than positions 2 and 4 on a strat. In fact, i prefer this sound to either strat ones.

Neck bucker parallel is also a nice sound.

Ibanez 5 way wiring:
Neck series
Neck parallel
Both buckers
Inner coils parallel
Brudge series.

I have 3 guitars set up like this.

Rg520qs with full shreds. This has a super funky inner coils sound
Rg921 with breeds
Rg3xxv with a dactivator/air norton s combo.

All do high gain well (each is slightly different). All do cleans via positions 2 and 4.

Adding a treble bleed makes it more versatile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.