Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys I have a problem that has been slowly eating away at me for the past few weeks, pickup height. I have an RG with Dimarzios. I have done some surfing, but figured I would get the best feedback here. Not sure how far away from strings Pups should be, (too high=muddy cleans, too low=not enough power?)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
536 Posts
Wrong thread Cynth :p Personally I didn't really understand a word you said, but it sounds helpful in context.

For me I simply put them as high as I can before I start having problems with strings hitting them or tapping problems (Eg, pressure from my right hand pressing the lower strings down so they cause noise/hit the pickups). The neck pickup seems to be in line with the top of the fretboard, and level with the bridge pickup. Don't use any middle pickups, and even if I did putting them that high would cause problems with my picking. Never noticed any grotesque amounts of mud for cleans, but I don't pay much attention to my clean tone (usually sounds fine to me).

Not sure how much this would affect sustain, but having them not high makes it harder to pick up harmonics, which is not fun.

So my advice is: put them as high as you want!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
darn spammers...
for me, it's relative to what pickup is being used... which dimarzios do ya have?
some pickups tend to "pick up" certain qualities more so than others... for example; i have an X2N and it's pretty high as it can get before it gets "piercing"... on the other hand, the D-activator X is sitting much lower cause putting it at the same height as the X2N does not work for my purpose [and doesn't sound articulate while sounding like it's on "11" in clean or distortion].
It's more than just "scientific measurements" when it comes to pickup height; it's more or less finding the right balance of clarity, harmonics, response and feel of the overall instrument which is dependent on one's playing style.
The general rule i usually follow is that the neck is usually lower than the bridge pickup to achieve a "levelled" volume between the two positions.

Reg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts