Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Ibanez S series and I love the guitar in general, but sometimes the pickuprings get in the way. I just wondering when you take them off, do they look like what the pickup rings look like on a prestige guitar? (Yes I am a major noob to "custom" work on my guitar)

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
When you take them of, there will be no pickup rings on it. Are you referring to direct mount pickups? If they get in the way, just take them off and screw the pickups directly into the body--yes, new screws are required.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You'll have to modify the body slightly, adding some wood in the sides of the pickup cavity, otherwise you wont be able to screw the pickups in. There will also be a pretty ugly hole around the tabs and holes from the rings.
You'll probably also have to shim them underneath to be able to get them to the right height.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
If I'm understanding you correctly: obviously, you'll have the 8 holes from the missing rings, but more importantly the routes for the pickup mounting "ears" are quite a bit larger than on the direct mount Prestiges: see pics.......

"Prestige" RGT3120 and MIJ RG570 (pickup rings removed and filled)

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use my pickup rings(the bridge pickup anyways) as an anchor for my pinky while playing(except for strums of course). Everyone's style is different so that may not be the case with you. I know that Dave Mustaine anchors his pinky on the ring as well but I know that George Lynch does not. I had thought about hard mounting my pups before as well, but then realized that it would actually affect my hand position, so to me it wasn't going to be worth it.

hotrod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.